• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

i’ve heard chickens will just casually peck others to death if they have a wound too, like it’s not even malice or removing competition, they just do it from some fucked up instinct.

• Number1SummerJam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I own chickens and have had a bullying problem in the past. In the winter they have a lot less space and they get bored and stressed easily. The hen that took the “rooster”/protector role started pecking the smallest and sweetest chicken and drew blood. I had to keep the small chicken isolated from the flock for a few weeks while its wounds healed and put special goggles on the bully chicken for a month- they prevent it from seeing in front of itself so it forgets what’s there after a few seconds. Yeah they can be vicious, but it’s definitely preventable if they’re raised right instead of at a factory farm.

• qyron@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Italian mafia devised the method first. Will only leave the teeth, for some reason.

Read once an article where it was stated these “special purpose” pigs were kept hungry for a few days before a disposal, for faster results, and could even be used as a torture method, as the animals would attack any human figure on sight, dead or alive.

Now imagine slowly lowering a live human being into a pig pen full of these quasi feral animals, feet first.

• qyron@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I once read about a turkey that had to be wraped in a tea towel to allow a wound to heal as the creature kept pecking at it and ripping out pieces of flesh that would glady eat.

That is pretty high on the extreme behavior list. And I think it was a pet turkey.