I have asked this question to countless people (mostly in hair salons) as an alternative to small talk, and it always yields interesting results.

Rules:

• You get the money right now, right where you are. If it’s 10pm and you’re in the middle of nowhere, your money will still go poof at 11pm.
  • As a result of the above, tell us what time it is and roughly where you are (big city, desert, small town, …)
  • You must spend the money. You cannot give it to someone to hold on to it for you for a while.
  • Normal world rules apply, e.g. you cannot buy a $250k car at a dealership in 1h in cash, and you cannot buy a house in 1h either.
  • Remember that getting from where you are to the place you need to go takes time. Factor that in!

Edit: I’m glad you guys had fun with this one. Feel free to post similar hypothetical questions. I kinda like these.

Edit edit: Free advertising 😅 --> I run and maintain an open source push notification service called ntfy, which let’s you send notifications to your phone via PUT/POST, like curl -d "backup successful" ntfy.sh/mytopic. Go check it out.

• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Where do you go that accepts 1M in cash without calling the cops? And who manages to count that much money? And who won’t call the cops if the money suddenly vanishes?

• ramius345@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Depends on if in this hypothetical fantasy situation if buy means initiate or complete the transaction.

• Slawtering@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’d read it as the physical cash leaving your hands in a transaction, so I guess you could order something to be delivered in X amount of time.