Of course, it’s better to emit less carbon, and support systems and policies that emit less carbon. That said, carbon emission is unavoidable, and I’d like to minimize that portion of my impact as much as possible.

I am definitely willing to pay to offset my carbon usage, but I’m under the impression that this is mostly a scam. Does anyone use these services? If so, can you tell me what reasoning or sources you used that satisfied you that the service your chose isn’t a scam?

• @hellweaver666
    link
    English
    967 months ago

Carbon offsets are a scam. John Oliver did a piece on them last year. Lots of it goes to existing forests (which doesn’t help offset new carbon usage) or to the development of mono-culture forests which have all sorts of issues.

• hallettj
      link
      fedilink
      English
      177 months ago

I think the takeaway from that episode is that many carbon offsets are scams, not necessarily all. So don’t take corporate claims that they offset their emissions at face value, and consider carefully before you buy offsets.

Take a look at my other comment about Wren and Wendover Productions. (This John Oliver episode happens to include an excerpt from the Wendover piece I mentioned.)

• @deranger@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      67 months ago

Forests do not offset carbon emissions unless the trees never decay. Unless you’re burying them underground after you cut them down, this method is not removing carbon from the atmosphere.

• @Ajen@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        47 months ago

Why does it need to be underground? If it’s processed into lumber (for houses, etc) the carbon is still removed from the atmosphere, it’s it not?

• MentalEdge
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Yes. That’s why they’re a scam. They don’t mean shit.

• @taiyang@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      37 months ago

Second this, I recall reading up on mono-culture forests. I forget the source (maybe NYT) but the writer spoke of volunteering in Canada to plant trees and their practices basically planted incredibly combustible trees in very close proximity to one another. Those mono-culture forests are one of several reasons Canadian wild fires got out of control.

Wish I could the source, if anyone else remembers feel free to add.