• dingleberry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Tough pill to swallow: Don’t make tunnels under your house.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

After Hamas broke through and started murdering people, I swear people just expected Israel to take it? Not react? Not retaliate? Leave? I don’t understand what anyone expected here. Hamas wanted this and knew it would happen.

• ThunderingJerboa@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I mean asymmetrical warfare is a messy affair. Hamas gets new recruits who are angered about their family and homes being destroyed. Big nations typically don’t win these kind of engagements in the modern era because at least to modern sensibilities we don’t really want to see pointless slaughter and genocide, this isn’t to advocate for it, quite far from it but historically typically you would have to be ruthless to subjugate people but thankfully modern sensibilities say that is pretty fucked. So really this will either end up another “forever” war or one of the sides will be wiped out entirely.

• DoctorTYVM@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Yes, there are people who 100% think Israel not only should forgive and forget about Oct 7. Then there are the people who think Israelis deserve that and worse.

• kozy138@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

You realize Israel has been the aggressor for over 20 years, right? Palestine has finally gathered enough military resources to counter attack in retaliation. It’s self defense at this point

• glockenspiel@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

So you agree with the IDF in that targeting civilians is self defense?

Or are we playing pedantic games again where we try to rationalize bad things by wearing victimized status one moment while murdering children the next? Maybe the IDF and Hamas are both responsible. Hamas aren’t freedom fighters like my fellow lefties are making them out to be. They want a theonomic system. And they have one.

• lloram239@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Well, if they wanna fight, they shouldn’t be complaining that Israel is doing their part in the game. If they wanted peace they could have had it decades ago.

• hark@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

True, Israel has actually been the aggressor for waaaaaay longer than 20 years.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Since the Gazans are using their own children as human shields, what do you suggest the Israelis do instead?

• JasSmith@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

So, nothing? With a mind like yours we could solve this conflict once and for all. Gaza slaughtered innocent children. Doing nothing is an unreasonable expectation. One which you would never accept had your children been murdered. The terrorists must be brought to justice, and yet you want them to be left alone?

• IchNichtenLichten@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

So, nothing? With a mind like yours we could solve this conflict once and for all.

Straight to petty little barbs? I guess I upset you.

Gaza slaughtered innocent children. Doing nothing is an unreasonable expectation.

Now do Israel, they have blood on their hands too. Do you think Hamas committed the atrocities they did for funsies? That you’re blind to this speaks more to your bias than your understanding of the history of this conflict.

One which you would never accept had your children been murdered.

You’re so close to figuring it out, keep going. I believe in you.

The terrorists must be brought to justice, and yet you want them to be left alone?

Did I say that? No I didn’t. You started with an ad hominem and ended with a straw man, all in the same paragraph. Nice work, champ.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

You’ve had two opportunities how to suggest a better path, but the silence is deafening. It’s clear you don’t want the terrorists brought to justice.

• IchNichtenLichten@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

You want me to single-handedly solve the Israeli-Palestine problem? Do you really think that’s some kind of “gotcha” moment? It’s not.

We could start with the Israelis ditching Netanyahu and electing a non-war criminal who is committed to a two state solution. That would be a good start.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    8 months ago

You want me to single-handedly solve the Israeli-Palestine problem? Do you really think that’s some kind of “gotcha” moment? It’s not.

No, I’m specifically and repeatedly asking what to do with the terrorists. The people who murdered the babies. Not the whole conflict. The terrorists. I wrote that very clearly, and your inability to read that is entirely on you.

• PsychedSy@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Copying your own comments is lazy and comes off as if you don’t take them seriously.

I’d actually like to see someone answer the question, so it’s kind of sad.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

So, nothing? With a mind like yours we could solve this conflict once and for all. Gaza slaughtered innocent children. Doing nothing is an unreasonable expectation. One which you would never accept had your children been murdered. The terrorists must be brought to justice, and yet you want them to be given amnesty? It’s always the same with you terrorists sympathisers.

• المنطقة عكف عفريت@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

So, nothing?

Literally Israel can stop committing war crimes but somehow that is not a good enough solution for you. Gaza didn’t slaughter anyone, instead they had to say goodbye to thousands of civilians, in mass graves. Israel is starving and dehydrating them, allowing diseases to spread by ignoring every call for a ceasefire. Israel is committing a genocide. Israel is repeating the atrocities of the holocaust. Palestinians are now dying in the West Bank and in Israeli prisons by the blessing of the army and government, just as Jews were disappearing and being killed on the hands of Nazi Germany. They are being demonized and dehumanized just as Jews were. We need to learn from history. Never again includes Palestinians. This is not only me speaking, but countless Jews around the world and in Israel. Israel has done so much to shame pro-Palestinian and anti-Zionist Jewish peace organizations. It has done all it can to discredit and punish Palestinians. The list is so long, torture and rape, apartheid, land grabbing, etc. Then Bibi himself helped Hamas prosper as an extremist organization to now get a green light for genocide. This is the madness this world is in now.

What you are suggesting is genocidal. You are calling a population of almost 50% children terrorists and rationalizing their daily murder of Palestinians.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

You’ve had three opportunities to suggest a better path, but crickets. It’s clear you don’t want the terrorists to be brought to justice.

• المنطقة عكف عفريت@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Yeah totally clear from an internet discussion.

Please stop going around accusing people of supporting terrorists. No one is doing that here on Lemmy, execpt maybe those who support Israel which is a terrorists state after breaking all these int laws.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    8 months ago

Well if you want to protect the murderous terrorists from justice, you are a terrorist sympathiser. That’s what you are.

• PsychedSy@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Israel keeps saying they’re going to do something then kind of scales it back. They kept knocking after they said they were going to stop, for example. No clue if they are now, but I expected a higher death toll considering population density.

Also, Hamas and IJ do have some presence in the West Bank. I have no clue how much Israel is focusing on that since media coverage is focused on Gaza, and, well, I don’t fucking trust anyone.

• dangblingus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Regular Gazans are not using their children as human shields. Hamas is using children as human shields.