link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Its their platform . its their choice. We don’t have a choice to force them to allow adblockers. There is always a choice to load content after the ads are served . If they go that route then no adblocker can bypass it.

• Андрей Быдло@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

EU bullied sites into showing cookies warnings even on sites outside of EU. In effing Russia of all places too. You’d think, with enough torque, anything can be pushed onto them. Even good things.

• 🐑🇸 🇭 🇪 🇪 🇵 🇱 🇪🐑@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Except it’s been shown that doesn’t work by every site ever that tried it and Adblockers still worked.

That funny popup? Yeah doesn’t exist for me. I deleted it on my end within my device and there is nothing YouTube can do about it.

• Bob@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Twitch would like to have a word with you, the ads are still shown even with the latest ublock filters. Google absolutely can shove ads into your face that your ad blocker won’t be able to remove, they just don’t do it for now

• fsxylo@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I only get the “ad break in progress” screen but it lasts for two fucking minutes Jesus Christ twitch it’s a live stream I’m missing the best part!

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Twitch is live streaming which is what probably makes it a challenge to block ads, and the main draw of twitch is watching live content. I’d imagine it’s easier to view content that isn’t live without ads, and people do repost clips after it’s aired where people haven’t encountered ads in contrast to live viewers.

Then look at television piracy where live viewing will have ads, but pirated content is uploaded with it stripped away. Blocking ads will be something YouTube will have to keep fighting endlessly.

• crimsdings@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

As the European law stands and is interpreted, yes we can force them to remove their current implemention

• Link.wav [he/him]@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s their choice, and I would simply not use YouTube. Access to YouTube specifically is not very concerning to me.

But if they try to normalize this or even attempt to influence legislators that adblockers should be restricted in any way by law, then I would be concerned, and for this reason I think it’s important to articulate right now that there is nothing inherently wrong or unethical about using an adblocker.