I would love the child of a Surfacebook with a Framework laptop; or A bare keyboard attached to a screen, that I could plug my phone (possibly running Phosh) and use it as a hardware for a laptop experience

• CumBroth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Something like the Gvido E-Ink tablet for working with sheet music, but without all the proprietary bullshit and closed software.

• CumBroth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I know about the Boox devices, but the double screen is the main selling point for me. As far as I know, there’s nothing similar offered by any other manufacturer out there. The PadMu comes close, but it’s two separate devices (no hinge) that you have to pair via Bluetooth and place side by side, and the pairing process is slow and cumbersome.

• daddyjones@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Given that the PadMu is (as far as I can tell) a tweaked Onyx - I’m not clear what the difference actually is? Onyx can do sheet music can’t it?

• CumBroth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Well yes, any E-Ink device should be able to open a PDF, but PadMu gives you the ability to sync two devices so you can place them next to each other and display two pages at once. I think it has additional features specifically for working with sheet music, like an infra-red sensor for turning pages by waving your hands in front of the device. I know the Gvido has that (Edit: But the PadMu actually doesn’t; it’s all software enhancements and the dual display mode).

This review showcases the side-by-side display (double mode) feature at around 4:20. Can Onyx devices do that? I haven’t checked, but my guess is no.

• daddyjones@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

If the main difference is the dual screen thing then it’s not much use for me. My main use case with sheet music is writing it, not reading for performance - so I’d actually prefer to work on just one screen at a time.

• daddyjones@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I really want an e-ink tablet that is good for both sheet music and has excellent ebook support. Including Kindle formats. I’m not holding my breath.