• @LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    17 months ago

Could you perhaps give us some examples of these games that don’t work? There aren’t really that many of these days, thanks to valve’s work on proton and thanks to the steam deck making developers want to at least not actively break their games the majority work out of the box. Even non-steam games and launchers

• @RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

EA’s Battlefield franchise right off the top of my head. Tons of effort to get it to start, when it finally did start the sound was a wreck, couldn’t get the resolution set right and the FPS was probably 12-20.

I think I tried Elite: Dangerous, and that wouldn’t start at all.

link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

Lutris appears to have installers available for both of those games. And I know some people that play Elite dangerous on Linux I asked them and they said they didn’t have any issues with it. Was that perhaps very close to its initial release or something? It could just be better now

• @RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          17 months ago

I tried out all of this a couple times, most recently few years ago before COVID. While I realize nobody here on a pro-Linux sub wants to hear it, Linux is still a minefield of different distros and versions, many of which don’t work quite the same in various subtle ways that can be infuriating to someone trying to grab something off a repository that should work, but doesn’t for the aforementioned reasons. Whereas people here scoff at the premise that this is a flaw, for the vast majority of people it’s the very reason Linux isn’t mainstream outside the IT world. Yeah, unpopular opinion, but it’s from someone who’s been trying to love Linux for 25 years and gets put off by all the little issues.

link
            fedilink
            English
            17 months ago

i won’t argue with you there. i fucking hate people who push mint,Ubuntu, popos, or anything based on apt. it’s literally not designed to be up to date and rolling. People try to band-aid it on with repos but it just leads to systems eating themselves.

valve went with arch Linux on the steamdeck for a reason, it’s designed, from its core, to be rolling. which gaming needs. you need the latest drivers, libs, wine, etc. and there are easy to go arch installers. my favorite is EndeavorOS. sadly you get a similar problem in reverse with shit like manjaro. where they take a perfectly working rolling system and attempt to “stabilize” it with custom repos that arbitrarily hold packages back. and it tends to break a lot.

it’s the double edged sword of open source. i can do what i want, but so can everyone else. and the voice of the stupid is almost never a minority