Seems like nonsense to me to change time every six months

• dpunked@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Its rubbish and we should just stay in summertime. Yet another daylight hour stolen in the evening

• Skasi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

What the hell, why not stay in standard time? I don’t like having to get out of bed while it’s still dark outside. It’s already bad with everything being dark outside at 8am in winter, doesn’t need to be made even worse.

• dpunked@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

In the morning and while I am at work I don’t really care for the conditions outside. By 8 its daylight here no matter the summer or wintertime. But what I care for is going outside in the evening, doing sports in the forest, go cycling and enjoy nature. Its hard doing that when it is dark when I finish working. Other geographic regions might prefer winter time, I personally prefer sommertime

• Skasi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

In the morning and while I am at work I don’t really care for the conditions outside.

Wow really? Because when I was younger I hated waking up in winter when it was still dark outside and having to go to school. I’m assume my classmates did too. If school time doesn’t change and the clock is 1 hour forward in winter, then it would be like standing up EVEN earlier.

So I guess as a person you also don’t mind much doing night shifts, is that right?

• dpunked@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Hmmm… I never worked nights. When I was younger I would stay up all night but this has since changed and I am much more an early riser. I just lived in Norway for 7 years when the sun would rise at 11 and set at 3pm in the winter. So when it comes down to it, if I can choose when to have an extra hour of daylight, its when I can use it.

• Skasi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

So do you mean instead of going to school/work at eg. 9:00 UTC you would go to work at 10:00 UTC+1? In other words, nothing would change except that in summer everything starts an hour later than it does now? That only works if your school system and company/customers allow this freedom. Oftentimes they don’t.

If you mean something else, could you clarify? I’m curious regarding this topic.

• PetteriSkaffari@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Sorry for the late reply, I just read yours, this app is still a bit of a mystery to me. My work allows for flexible working hours, so there’s no problem there. But in the wake of a decision to stay with Summer Time year round I would suppose that the starting times of businesses and schools would be up for debate. Especially for schools, as these already presently do not lign up with the sleep cycles of students, they only match those of the teachers. It’s funny how introduction of Summer Time has convinced through being confusing. When the plan would have been to ask everyone to come in one hour earlier during summer, a lot of people would have protested. By setting the clock one hour later it has gotten authority and nobody was sure which way the hour difference was supposed to go. Later or earlier? People are still not sure after all these years.

• Skasi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

I understand your point, but can you guarantee that schools and work for all the other people will also start one hour later? If just a single person does everything one hour later that’s not gonna solve the issue and if everybody does it then you might as well stick to standard time.

• Skasi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

So you live even further up north? Isn’t it uncomfortable to wake up in the darkness? Or are you saying that hasn’t been a problem to you before and you can deal with it just fine?

• Angry_Badger@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Just to be pedantic, as I found it really interesting when I realised, it’s actually 5 months winter time and 7 months summer.

• danielton@lemmy.frozeninferno.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

In the US states that still do this nonsense, it’s 8 months on daylight saving time (summer time), and just four months on so-called “standard time.” We should just stay on summer time all year at this point.

• ChronosWing@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

We were so close to being rid of it last year. The Senate unanimously Approved the “The Sunshine Protection Act” which would of gotten rid of the fall back period we experience in November. But Congress never brought it to a vote so it never became law.

• krush_groove@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Interestingly, British Summer Time is used for 7 months of the year and GMT is used for 5 months. We just changed clocks this morning.