• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

It only needs to be downloaded once. I would be more worried about security since this is a bank.

I’m very curious how they got into this situation though. It seems someone copied parts of an archived page.

• XEAL@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

They archived their own page and are using Internet Archive as a relay?

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s more likely someone inexperienced used the internet archive to recover something they deleted by accident - I assume Barkley’s uses some form of source versioning, as banks are usually a mess but not to the point of not storing their code properly, so we can exclude someone with any real experience. The question would then be how it got to production. Again, banks are a mess but regulations around software that handles anything related to money demand that changes to production be peer reviewed.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Barclays isn’t a small bank, either. They hire hundreds, if not thousands of software engineers. I’m shocked such a change made it into prod.

My guess is that their front-of-house website is managed by an agency. UK companies love using agencies for shit like this.

• Korne127@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Even if someone was that ineperienced to not know how source versioning works (which I honestly can’t really imagine in a critical programming-related job), why wouldn’t they just download the JS file from the Internet archive and put it on the own website again?