If lemmy had user-defined filters, I’d use them. Right now I’m downvoting the stuff, but there’s already a community for musk-related stuff: !EnoughMuskSpam@kbin.social

• @DogMuffins
    link
    English
    146 months ago

Honestly I think it’s weird that people think social media is tech.

• @CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

The product itself (the code) may be considered tech but the company’s/employee’s/executive’s business/personal/anything outside of the product dealings shouldn’t be. If running a website makes any information related to you tech related then literally every company is a tech company. Meta’s stock price dropping because Zuckerbot farted in a kindergarten classroom isn’t anything tech related. Subscription fees being added or increased isn’t tech related.

How would you define tech with regards to social media and how does that definition not include any other company running a website that you can interact with?

• @CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                6 months ago

I said the code is the tech and then gave examples of what isn’t tech. What else do you want? The dictionary definition is

the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.

which points even further away from social media being tech IMO.

• @CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    06 months ago

The irony here. You’ve made zero argument other than “not uh!” and expect me to keep repeating what I’ve already stated in good faith. I focused on social media companies because that’s what you had an issue with. Nobody disputes whether companies like Microsoft, SpaceX, Intel, and Apple are tech companies. The dispute here is whether Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc are really tech companies and more specifically whether any news surrounding these companies should be considered tech news (which you’ve already been given examples of) rather than just news about their actual tech products.

So social media companies don’t apply scientific knowledge? Are you serious?

Nobody stated that.

Once again I’ll ask you to define what you think social media companies are and how that definition doesn’t include every other company with a web presence. Are you or are you not able to do that?

• MrScottyTay
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

News about a tech company is usually just business news and not news about tech though. Just like most Twitter news that gets posted on here.

• MrScottyTay
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                6 months ago

Anything about the daily runnings of a company, it’s personnel and other business decisions is not news about tech, no matter what the company is. Tech news should be about the technology. New breakthroughs, new coding language releases, new hardware etc.

Edit: and to be a tech company is a company that creates tech, not always just one that uses it. I could be on the side of social media companies being tech companies, but that doesn’t mean all news about said companies are tech news, because they are not.

• @DogMuffins
            link
            English
            16 months ago

There are no “tech companies”, there a companies that deal with new and interesting technologies more than others, but that doesn’t mean that anything that company does is “tech news”.

Obviously the answer to “what is technology and what belongs in /c/technology” is subjective, everyone will have their own definition. But if your definition includes anything that social media companies do then you may as well just include any company with a website in your definition of technology.

If meta rolls out threads, that’s tech news because it’s a company experimenting with a new technology. If xitter wants to change it’s subscription pricing that’s not tech news, because it has very little to do with technology.