• EmperorHenry
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

if I bust my ass for a company, I deserve an equal portion of the money the company rakes in from whatever it does.

An equal portion of money as every other employee gets. For the parasites in the excusive room, that means much less, but for the people who actually have to work in the company that means a lot more.

• Not_Alec_Baldwin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

“That’s not how the market works.”

I’ve had to have this conversation so many times I feel like I’m losing my mind. Like I need to write a manifesto or blog post that I can reference instead of rewriting it every time.

Markets are not moral.

Market forces are like physical forces - we observe them and use that knowledge to predict the outcomes of situations. But by the same token we need to have a moral framework underpinning the way we use the knowledge, or else we will destroy the world.

Justifying low wages by saying “people are willing to take the job” is just saying “people would rather do this job than be homeless, starve, or be poor_er_.”

I, personally, am fundamentally not okay with an economy that is fully supported by workers essentially being coerced into working from fear of death or despair.

We look at the nuclear bomb and the damage it caused and say “that was bad, let’s not do that”. But we look at inflation, wealth accumulation, class warfare, rampant shameless greed, and don’t immediately see the cause/effect relationship.

Now the conversation about some work being harder, more unpleasant, more stressful, or more valuable than other work is an important one. But in my mind the important part is removing the coersion.

If people had their basic needs met and didn’t fear starvation or homeless, I bet employers would have to give their workers a better shake in order to keep things running.

• kicksystem@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I cringe everytime money grubbing is normalized. Bloomberg is now building an AI like chatGPT to do their forecasting. They are super proud of that, but instead they should be deeply ashamed. What value are they providing? People are just lining their pockets and other people applaud these people. This is a serious culture flaw.

• Not_Alec_Baldwin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m THRILLED with the promise of technology making human labor obsolete.

Is labor the best use of your limited time?

Why should we design a society where people must labor in order to survive?

However I’m DEEPLY concerned with our blind dedication to the private ownership of everything, exclusively for the purposes of growing the wealth of the few.

I don’t believe we’re in a post-scarcity world yet, and so I don’t think we’re able to stop laboring altogether. But we’ve definitely reached the point where many have stopped laboring and are surviving on the backs of others. Their lessers.

That needs to become embarrassing instead of a point of pride. We need to start shaming people into doing their part.

• kicksystem@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

100% agreed.

I am actually a vegan activist, so I am somewhat used to shaming people. Although that is never the purpose. The purpose is to stop people from exploiting animals (killing, breeding, enslaving, using for testing and entertainment) when in today’s world 99% of it is unnecessary. It is very cruel and also is a major factor of climate change.

I digress, what I wanted to say is that this thing that you and I are talking about should have activists too. Money grubbing needs to be shamed endlessly. I just don’t know exactly how. I feel like going onto the streets with thousands of activists like I do with veganism, but I lack a clear movement, message and organization.

I honestly don’t have a systemic solution, like with veganism, which may be the crux of the problem. I just believe people need to be held accountable for what they are or are not bringing to the world.

Do you know of a movement? Perhaps degrowth?

• EmperorHenry
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

We look at the nuclear bomb and the damage it caused and say “that was bad, let’s not do that”.

Most people have no idea how horrible it would actually be if WW3 happens. That’s why we need to stop the fighting in ukraine and start the peace talks.

I’m not on either side of that war. I just don’t want the world to become radioactive ashes.

But everything else you said, yes. If you want people to work, you need to pay them. If no one wants to do the job, you need to offer higher pay to make people want to work there.

This is basic supply and demand. Boomers refuse to understand this because they think younger people are entitled for wanting the American dream.

Work is often hard…but the shitter the job is, the higher the pay needs to be.

• unfreeradical@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I think it is not particularly helpful to frame the overarching antagonism in our society as one between two groups of different ages.

Most households, including most households of Boomers, are workers, and are also workers who are struggling more than they were forty years ago.