• OpticalMoose
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I don’t think it will burst. It’ll just slowly deflate as new houses come onto the market and demand eases. The main problem (at least where I live) is that there just aren’t enough houses being built. I don’t think we’ll see a sharp price drop anytime soon because there are so many people waiting to buy.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The problem tends to be that houses are being built but they’re not the right houses. They’re all really expensive houses, there’s nothing for first time buyers.

• OpticalMoose
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

So true. Where I am, a podunk town in the deep south, most of the homes being built are 4 bed, 1800sf+. The ‘starter’ homes with 3 beds, 1200sf are still like $185k which is ridiculous compared to what people make around here.

Even building condominiums would be an improvement. Personally, I hate condos (because I own one) but at least it gives people the chance to own something.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I know you said compared to what people make, but I would kill to see a starter house for under 200k… Where I am (not NYC not Cali) the cheapest is 300k for a twice burned down glorified shed in a flood zone and in the worst parts of town. It’s absofuckinglutley insane…

• guyrocket@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You may be right. I saw an article about a year ago that said the only way they saw out of the housing crisis was to build like crazy. And that makes sense but if the economy takes a nosedive then the buying may stop which could cause a crash. No one can predict the future, but markets do fall apart sometimes.

• IMongoose@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think it’s happening, at least in pockets. Housing developments that were abandoned after the 2008 crash are starting to spring to life again around here. Some of them have already doubled in size and one is getting ready to get about 10x as big.