Google’s anti-ad scripts are breaking browsers and privacy plugins. It could get worse because Google controls the ad market, Chrome, and the extension store.

• @DeathsEmbrace@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    127 months ago

Use noscript it’s the best. You will have to learn what’s useful while being real and what’s fake but that’s the best part. It disables YouTube’s scripts for advertising.

• @Gestrid@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Or just use uBlock Origin? It blocks YouTube’s ads (and their adblocker-blockers) right out of the gate. It’s also available on Firefox for Android.

• @Gestrid@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Have you followed the instructions in the devs’ Reddit thread? (At the bottom of the thread, they also have a section of instructions for people who’ve already gone through the process of purging their filters before.)

Also, make sure nothing else (ex. another adblocker, including your browser’s built-in adblocker) is causing issues.

• @dracul104@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          -27 months ago

It’s too much of a pain to use for me personally. I really don’t want to spend time figuring out which scripts to enable every time I visit a new site. Adblock I can just turn on and forget with minimum effort.

• @vaionko@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            27 months ago

I have never had to touch anything on uBlock origin. Well, before this youtube stuff when I sometimes have to manually update a block list when YT gets a new adblocker blocker

• @dracul104@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              17 months ago

I already use uBlock Origin. I haven’t had any issues with it. I was replying to the person who said NoScript was better.

• Ulu-Mulu-no-die
              link
              fedilink
              English
              17 months ago

I never had to touch anything in uBlock Origin, not even once, I just have to remember to check for updates every now and then. I see some people saying sometimes they still get ads on youtube, not sure if it’s youtube testing new targeting, but I’ve never seen ads on YT anyway, I guess I’m not interesting enough to them XD

• @Trihilis@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            17 months ago

Download Firefox. Look up “ublock origin firefox” in search engine of choice. Click install. Done!

It’s that easy…