Another great article from 404 Media highlighting the power that the tech giants have amassed over how how we use the internet.

This brings me, I think, to the elephant in the room, which is the fact that Google has its hands on quite literally every aspect of this entire saga as a vertically integrated adtech giant.

This extreme power over the adtech and online advertising ecosystem is one of the subjects of an FTC antitrust suit against Google.

• GingaNinga
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3856 months ago

Ya I’ll never stop using ad blockers, the internet is essentially unusable without them. Mine still work on youtube but if the day comes that they don’t I’ll just stop using it. We need some competition here, things have gotten increasingly anticonsumer and the companies have gotten too comfortable doing and charging whatever they want

• DarkenLM
      link
      fedilink
      786 months ago

The problem with any youtube competitor is that there is no way in hell they can cover the costs of the infrastructure required to host the same amount of videos youtube has and streaming them to the millions of users youtube serves daily.

• @rockSlayer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        496 months ago

How about a decentralized, federated service instead of hoping a major corporation tries to “save” us?

• DarkenLM
          link
          fedilink
          536 months ago

I don’t think even a decentralized service could hold a mass equal to youtube. That would require that either the owners of all instances pay from their own pockets with mostly no income to support it, or that every user paid up, which is not going to happen, at least not in a service like youtube.

• netburnr
            link
            fedilink
            English
            86 months ago

Some of us are data holders and have Gigabit internet with options to go even higher. Don’t count out the little guys ability to share massive amounts of data… been doing it since zip drives and CDs

• Traister101
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              6 months ago

Let’s say only 500gb of video are uploaded every hour in this hypothetical federated YouTube (actual volume for the site looks to be ~200tb an hour). Are you honestly going to argue just that is even conceivably maintainable? You have to infinitely add storage space, multiple TBs a day.

• Stantana
                link
                fedilink
                English
                66 months ago

Let’s say I run my own hypothetical, federated, userpeer-to-peer and opt-in server CDN function-platform, also known as PeerTube…

I’d only accept those video uploads/uploaders I consider quality content.

I’d love to host many content creator’s videos. From the goodness of my heart, for free, as a gift to you all. But certainly not all videos, and nowhere near 200 TB/h. But I can afford to host many TB’s without it impacting my private economy.

That video of some idiot eating tidepods or whatever the current thing is? They could find somebody else that will host. Or if unable, host their own videos. Now we’re both happy.

• Traister101
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

I’d only accept those video uploads/uploaders I consider quality content.

Cool, I like that idea unironically. So how are you going to do that? To accept only “quality uploads” you would have to somehow know, ahead of time if the uploaded content is acceptable. Sure maybe you have a white list but have fun maintaining that.

Okay so different idea maybe you let people vote on the video somehow and delete videos that are deemed poor quality. Great! So now you burn through writes instead of storage itself which is probably desirable though it only lessens the need for more drives. There’s a flaw in this system though. How do you prevent a community from removing a video that’s been voted to be poor quality (IE fake “bad” reviews)? Are these videos gonna be manually reviewed? Manually reviewing would have the same immense maintenance problems as a whitelist so again have fun maintaining that.

• @xavier666@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  66 months ago

That video of some idiot eating tidepods or whatever the current thing is? They could find somebody else that will host

Oh no! Censorship /s

• @Jako301@feddit.de
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  06 months ago

Great, so you pretty much only host established creators. Nearly all big channels on Youtube started with what is now considered shitty contend. They trained their editing skills over time, bought proper equipment once they really got into it and probably only found their style halfway through their “career”. If YouTube pre-filtered it’s videos, then the site would be dead by now.

Sure you can shove all responsibility to someone else and say they should self host it, but then you also have to acknowledge that peertube and the like eliminate 98% of all content before its made with its cobsiderably higher entry point, and that includes the good and the bad.

• @kakes@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              96 months ago

Have you seen the sheer amount of data hosted by YouTube though? There’s no way any amount of hobbyists are going to hold a candle to that.

• @wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          226 months ago

That doesn’t address the issue of storage and compute power for streaming to the absurd amount of users.

There’s been attempts before and it all comes down to file transfer time and storage (because at the time the servers weren’t transcoding for streaming the file. Secondary issue of buy in, like what we see with niche communities staying on reddit instead of moving to the fediverse.

There already exist a number of projects out there like peertube. Take a look at how even the most popular instances are doing. It’s not well.

The closest thing was around a decade ago, the popcorntime or popcornflix or whatever it was called app/program that was just a nice front end for torrenting videos and watching them before they finished downloading. Each individual user was responsible for their own storage, network connection speed, and compute power to render the video for themselves. Each end user was also contributing back through helping others to download the file via standard torrenting p2p stuff.

So now you need a front end to host the magnet links to the files, and a robust set of seed servers so no video is ever truly lost. That still doesn’t cover a significant portion of youtube’s functionality like reccomendations, comments, allowing creators to edit/adjust videos after the fact.

Unlike reddit, youtube is technologically complicated and impressive. Hell, read up on some of the stuff Netflix has had to do to achieve reasonable streaming quality and speed on an insanely smaller curated library.

A decentralized federated solution is possible, but there’s a shit ton more that would have to go into this than just appealing to the concept.

• @r3g3n3x@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            46 months ago

That still doesn’t cover a significant portion of youtube’s functionality like reccomendations, comments, allowing creators to edit/adjust videos after the fact.

Seems to me that anything beyond the actual hosting and serving of the video file is unnecessary to include by default in a federated video streaming solution. To drill down a bit, recommendations don’t need to be handled by an algorithm, the content creator can make their own list of videos or playlist - do we really want another reco algo passively controlling what we feed our minds? Comments could be something as simple as a mastodon or lemmy thread with the video as the OP. Content editing after the fact doesn’t seem like its that big a deal aside from computational and bandwidth overhead which would seem small compared to the task of serving multiple thousands of viewers at once.

• Goronmon
              link
              fedilink
              76 months ago

Seems to me that anything beyond the actual hosting and serving of the video file is unnecessary to include by default in a federated video streaming solution…

You are basically saying “Other than the most expensive and complicated parts” the rest is easy or unnecessary. Which isn’t necessarily accurate but still is being a bit dismissive of the problems at hand.

And one of the biggest criticisms of Peertube (aside from the dearth of content, which helpfully avoids the “expensive/complicated” parts) has been Discoverability. How do people watch your videos (or your playlist) if they don’t have a way of knowing that your videos even exist?

• @r3g3n3x@lemmy.one
                link
                fedilink
                English
                26 months ago

I think we missed each other. My overall point is that aside from the hosting/serving, other federated networks/services could pick up the slack. The Federated Youtube doesn’t have to mirror Youtube exactly, or even mirror functionality all-inclusively (ie with reccos and comments etc. built-in), but could lean on other federated servers to provide similar functionality.

As I said, comments could be a lemmy/mastodon thread. Recommendations or other discoverability could be other threads or maybe even a completely different service that hasn’t been created yet, I don’t know, but I do know that any reco algo needs to be open and subscribed to, not jammed down our throats and gamed. In the meantime, everyone’s got a search engine, right?

Ultimately I don’t live in this social media/open source/development space too much, I just saw a way for these things to be built/used together to achieve an effect, distributing dev and process overhead and load across all the networks. I don’t have any insight on the bigger, more pertinent, file distribution problem.

• @Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                06 months ago

At best word of mouth or users sharing it on lemmy (etc.).
                Good luck getting the niche stuff out of the bubble like it sometimes does with the algo.

• Stantana
              link
              fedilink
              English
              06 months ago

I agree with you so much a mere upvote won’t do.

• @Species8472
            link
            English
            46 months ago

Would you mind sharing some ‘essential’ articles to read about this? I know the principle of how Netflix works, but always interested in learning more.

• @DreadPotato@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            6 months ago

The closest thing was around a decade ago, the popcorntime

That method is still around, it’s just called stremio and you use a plugin called torrentio to get the torrent streaming functionality that popcorntime offered.

• @4am@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

I’d rather the storage and retrieval is just kind of built in to the network itself (p2p) and companies like Google can just do search on it.

Make your money on ads, but keep it off my content if I don’t want to use your services. No need to vertically integrate so hard.

• Turun
          link
          fedilink
          English
          56 months ago

It’s still just as expensive, you’re just adding administrative overhead.

You’d also spread the cost to more people, true, but who would operate a server for free (based on donations, but if it’s federated why should I pay for that one server?). Also, do you trust all those people to keep operating the storage for years to come? Or are you done with losing access to videos, because someone lost interest in running their instance?

Storage and bandwidth costs for video on demand are so incredibly high, I don’t think we’ll get a federated alternative to YouTube any time soon.

• @pascal@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 months ago

peertube started with that idea. Unfortunately is poorly maintained, also because humans are inherently evil, it’s a nightmare to moderate.

• @Vipsu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 months ago

Honestly this feels like the only possible way to win against Youtube. Goal could be to just create standardized decentralized platform where number of different companies/organizations can host and serve their own content while still being searchable and accessible from single client application.

Major problem with Mastodon, Lemmy and Peertube is searching and browsing content from multiple instances is still difficult.

• @Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

I think it could work if most users contribute to the maintenance cost of their favorite instance. It’s just like mastodon and lemmy, but everything costs more.

• Thinker
        link
        fedilink
        English
        126 months ago

One alternative that seems promising is Nebula. It only fills a small part of the role YouTube currently occupies, since it focuses on being a platform for high quality professional content creators to make unfiltered content for their audience, but it’s funding model seems to be much more honest, stable, and so far viable than an ad-supported platform or the other alternatives. I don’t think anything could realistically replace all facets of YouTube (and I think the internet might be healthier if it were a little bit less centrally-located). A self-sustaining, straight-forwardly funded platform like Nebule seems like the best path forward to me.

link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

I think Floatplane has more future but I don’t use either of them so I can judge.

Lifetime licenses are weird.

• Thinker
            link
            fedilink
            English
            46 months ago

Interesting, I thought Floatplane only hosted LTT content. Nebula has a LOT of creators spanning a very wide gamut of highly content. It has been gaining momentum steadily for several years now.

That said, I’d be happy to see them both succeed. We need more competition, having all internet video (minus NSFW and some short-form) hosted on one platform seems neither sustainable nor ideal.

• @shortwavesurfer@monero.town
          link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

So the answer is don’t. Let your clients help you. Like peer tube. If a video gets incredibly popular, then it will have lots of watchers at the same time. If it has lots of watchers at the same time, that means anybody who starts to watch it after those watchers have started will be downloading the video from the watchers and not from the server.

• @qarbone@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        86 months ago

The problem with any competitor is providing enough value to content producers to get them to make the move.

• @TheDarkKnight@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          56 months ago

Eh, kinda. Tbh youtube didn’t use to be that way, it was just a place to upload your videos and search for other videos. Over time they grew it into a creator focused site much to the detriment of the quality of content imo. Like sure, creators are producing 4k videos with great lighting and yada yada yada, but they have to create so much content constantly that the videos favored by youtube’s algorithm are fairly soulless, low effort mass produced crap that looks shinier. Classic youtube was some dude with a heavy accent recording on a nokia potato a 25 second video that immediately showed you how to do exactly what you entered into the search bar.

• @qarbone@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            26 months ago

It was like that in an age that no longer exists, and can no longer exist. Things were generally decentralised as everyone was doing and hosting their own shit. And people were fine and accustomed to finding weird holes with a collection of strange content. The average user is now focused on convenience rather than exploring, especially as web content has come to supplant other forms of entertainment.

• @DogMuffins
            link
            English
            16 months ago

Yeah everyone talking about how many additional TB of data you need to host every hour - if content had to justify it’s existence on it’s own merits a lot less of it would exist and it’s quality would be dramatically superior.

• @Jako301@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              16 months ago

Pretty much all creators on Youtube start with shitty videos you wouldn’t even glance at a second time. If you pre filter all videos then said creators could never get feedback or encouragement and most would’ve stopped long ago.

• @knatschus
        link
        English
        26 months ago

Why not? Youtube was big before google bought it

• @The_Vampire@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          246 months ago

Youtube had a space devoid of competition. The next guy doesn’t. If the next guy wants to compete, they have to have all the features of Youtube or people will complain. Many of Youtube’s current features cost money and weren’t present when Youtube started.

The space is also more regulated now that Youtube exists, meaning the new guy has to follow regulations which normally costs money. When Youtube started, those regulations didn’t exist, because Youtube didn’t exist.

Youtube got big by building a city in an open field surrounded by nothing but open fields. The next guy has to build a city directly next to Youtube, follow all the same laws as Youtube, and ask you not to drive into Youtube.

• @Ashyr@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          76 months ago

Two reasons:

1. Because no one else occupied the same space in a meaningful way.
          2. Low interest rates meant they were able to get massive investments without the burden of profitability.

Now you’d need to distinguish yourself from YouTube in a meaningful way as well as provide a sustainable revenue model, such as advertising, in order to gain access to a similar amount of venture capital.

• DarkenLM
          link
          fedilink
          46 months ago

Did youtube at the time serve millions of users daily and stored a gargantuan amount of petabytes worth of videos?

Even if a competitor rises, they will need money somehow, and in this hell of a capitalist world, only big corporations have it.

• @xapr@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

They were big through investors throwing money at a money sink for years. Youtube was losing tens to hundreds of millions of dollars a year for a long time, before it finally became profitable.

A new competitor wouldn’t get such favorable support from investors.

• Stantana
      link
      fedilink
      English
      546 months ago

I’ve used adblockers for like 15 years and I genuinely get disgusted when watching YouTube without it. There’s no way I’ll go back. I even do sponsorblock to remove in-video ads.

The unfortunate thing is that I’m willing to pay a reasonable price for a lot of content creators, just not via Google/YouTube.

A dollar per channel? I follow 104 content creators om YouTube through RSS. And many more if we count all the other platforms. I can’t afford that.

It’s a difficult situation for viewers, creators and providers. I don’t have an answer, but a stop-gap solution I’d be happy to see is like 480p max for adblockers, pay for HD+. That’s reasonable based on how much ad-dodgers impact YouTube from what I’ve gathered.

• @OrangeCorvus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        256 months ago

I cannot watch a video from start to finish anymore. Thanks youtube. Almost every video is filled with bs fluff to reach the 8 minute mark. It annoys me greatly. Maybe also because I am in the industry and I learned in school to not use meaningless shit in my videos.

• Stantana
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          6 months ago

I’ve not thought about them time markers in a long time. One that was kinda funny and bearable was Dave509’s twist.

"I need to reach a certain time limit on my videos, so for a few more minutes I’ll just sit here, nod and say “I agree” and “I understand”. Feel free to share whatever with me…

Sits in absolute silence for 30 seconds while staring at the camera

Yes, I agree."

But I have noticed I’ve gravitated to longer form videos, 30m+, for the last few years. I guess it has a lot to do with the fluff.

We shall from now on call such content creators “fluffers”.

• @aceshigh@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

i’ve gravitated to long form interviews, 8+ hours has nothing on me. i listen to them when i go to sleep or watch art videos.

• Ser Salty
        link
        fedilink
        English
        186 months ago

The thing that gets me is how little creators actually get per individual ad view. Now, collectively, with tens of thousands and millions of views, they get a good bag. But my watchtimes of that minute worth of ads per video? Literally nothing. A fraction of a cent so small it doesn’t exist. I could watch a creator semi-regularly for like 2 years and my contribution to their income by watching ads would be in the single digits. I give them two bucks over Patreon or something just once and that’s worth as much as me giving up hours upon hours of my life watching ads. Now, I can’t afford to give literally everyone I watch more than once a dollar or two. But I give some money here and there to a couple I watch a lot. To make up for my using an adblocker.

Honestly, I’d probably get YouTube Premium if it wasn’t fucking Google behind it.

• @aceshigh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        96 months ago

i also have always used adblockers, but once i had to put in effort circumventing YT ads earlier this year, i discovered sponsorblock and added it. kind of funny that had it not been for YT being an ass, i would have been fine with other kind of ads.

link
        fedilink
        English
        76 months ago

Now that’s a solution.
        Detecting adblock: 480/576p
        Watching with ads: 720p/1080p/1440p Watching with Premium: 4K and high bitrate 1080p (and maybe 1440p?)

• @merc@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      196 months ago

I guess if you don’t use ad blockers you somehow get used to it. It’s like someone whose job is 100% outdoors vs. someone who works indoors and then has to do a day working outside. The person who is used to cold, wind, rain, scorching sun, etc. stops noticing, even though it takes a toll on them too.

Every once in a while I end up using a browser without ad blockers enabled and it’s incredible to me that some people live like that. It really is almost unusable. Things jump around as ads load in. Ads / videos pop over the content you’re trying to use. The useful part of a page might be 60% ads: ads along the sides and breaking up the text. And then there’s the bottom area of the page which is an endless scroll of “related content” ads.

• El Barto
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

That’s not a good analogy. It’s more like saying that whenever you go outdoors for a walk on the park or do grocery shopping, you have to give up 15 minutes of your time to “donate” blood to the rich.

Edit: I just finished reading your whole comment. Sorry friend. We’re on the same page.

• @merc@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 months ago

No analogy is perfect. Yours gets at the reason for the ads – they want something from you and you have no chance to bargain or say no. Mine is more about how people can become accustomed to something that’s really unpleasant and after a while not really notice it.

My point is that to me (someone who blocks ads), trying to use the web without an ad blocker is extremely painful, and I find websites almost unusable. But, to someone who has never used an ad blocker, they’re used to the crap, and have developed some ‘immunity’ to the distracting images and work-arounds for the broken thing.

Anyhow, we’re on the same page. I just felt like explaining a bit better what I was getting at.

• El Barto
            link
            fedilink
            English
            06 months ago

I was quite content with tolerating banner ads. Then they became animated and it went downhill after that.

• @merc@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              26 months ago

I’m fine with a variety of ads, but I really hate distracting animation. The current trend seems to be that every ad is animated, so every ad is blocked.

• @dunestorm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      136 months ago

There never will be a YouTube competitor, it requires continuous investment from a multibillion dollar company.

• GingaNinga
        link
        fedilink
        English
        56 months ago

Nebula isn’t too bad, I like a lot of those informative creators and they collaorated and made a startup video hosting site, its essentially everything i want youtube to be. If more creators decided to do this it’s be great.

• @uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

For static ads there will eventually be visual adblockers which detect ads not from their source but because they look like ads. (The mandated paid advertisement notice helps).

There is the utility that journalists use to capture YouTube video. A version that captured video content and then filtered ads visually would be unblockable.

• @ExLisper@linux.community
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1886 months ago

To anyone using Chrome and complaining about Google having too much control: shut the fuck up. You’re part of the problem.

• @Substance_P@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        156 months ago

I love Librewolf, I just can’t work for hours using a browser that has dark mode disabled in order to preserve its privacy features.

• AphoticDev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          206 months ago

Because the dark mode that’s built into Firefox and other browsers sends requests to websites that can identify you. If you want dark mode on Librewolf, do as the devs recommend and get Dark Reader, as that’s clientside and doesn’t identify you, and works with pretty much every website, including ones that don’t offer a dark version.

I use regular Firefox, and I have the default dark mode disabled and Dark Reader installed. I don’t need to ask permission from websites to use dark mode any more than I need to ask Google for permission to block their ads.

• @Substance_P@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            86 months ago

that’s great! Yeah I understand the privacy implications but had no idea about Dark Reader. That’s why I love this community for answers like this. I’ll look into it as I’d prefer to use Librewolf as my daily driver.

• AphoticDev
              link
              fedilink
              English
              56 months ago

Like I said, it doesn’t look good on every website, but for the vast majority it’s a really nice experience, especially if you are often online after dark. It’s definitely earned the high ratings it’s got, and it’s 100% getting downloaded anytime I use a new computer.

Besides the enhanced privacy it gives you, there’s also the fact that it doesn’t require loading additional style sheets, so it saves you a very small amount of bandwidth and time.

• @FrameXX
            link
            English
            edit-2
            6 months ago

sends requests to websites that can identify you

What requests? I though that only information that the browser gives to website regarding dark theme is that your preferred-color-scheme is now dark.

• @zingo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          46 months ago

Well some sacrifices has to be done.

I use an add on called “Dark background, white text” or something like that. Less bloated than Dark Reader.

Has to be somewhat usable while privacy oriented.

• Mossy Feathers
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Imo this extends to chromium too. Google owns the source code and can pull it whenever they want. Sure, chromium browsers might be able to putter along for a little bit, but my understanding is that the reason why we’re now at Chrome/Chromium vs Firefox vs Safari is because Google shits out so many new “”“standards”“” and “features” that you need a large team to keep up. It’s supposedly why browsers like Opera switched to using chromium instead of trying to maintain their own source code.

This is a feature, not a bug.

• @ours@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        86 months ago

Handing over Google the Internet standards on a platter.

FireFox is not only awesome but a true competitor rendering engine.

• @some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      06 months ago

This is one reason why I don’t want the EU to force Apple to allow other rendering engines. Whether you think using Apple’s rendering engine on iOS is bad or good, it’s basically the only thing keeping Google from having complete control of the market.

• @Gigan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1196 months ago

Antitrust laws are not enforced nearly as much as they should be, especially in tech.

• @user_2345@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    926 months ago

Stop using Google’s products and continue using adblockers. Don’t come back at me with excuses. Otherwise, don’t complain.

• SkaveRat
        link
        English
        306 months ago

no, butts are over at pornhub

• guyrocket
      link
      fedilink
      216 months ago

The real problem with any other video service is that YT has a HUGE advantage of WAY more content. I wish it weren’t that way but it is.

So they will continue to dominate until similar vast content can be created elsewhere.

• @wreckedcarzz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        126 months ago

The real problem with any other video service is that YT has a HUGE advantage of WAY more content.

PornHub: uh, hello?

• guyrocket
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Funny!

Boom chicka wow wow….…Hey baby. Let me show you how to torque your nuts deep down inside my motor…Guitar solo…rocket launch video…

It would be interesting if PornHub started paying people for non-porn content. Because of their high traffic I assume they might be able to compete with YT…someday. It would be fun for them to try.

• @Jeffool@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            56 months ago

I just don’t see it happening. People have been suggesting they create “VideoHub”/“MediaHub” for years, as they’re the rare company established in free-access video and also able to compete on the basis of having a (presumably) profitable enough service to keep them afloat through any rough patch. Though I’ll certainly agree, it would be incredibly interesting.

• @Immersive_Matthew@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    646 months ago

Google only has power as we the people give it to them but using their services. Same with Reddit’s power and such. Not the people here as we have unfortunately unplugged, but admittedly, all the decentralized services have significantly less content and variety of content. We need more people to join us, but they seem happy to support the centralized services they hate.

• Cethin
      link
      fedilink
      English
      376 months ago

The problem with youtube in particular is there is no way to build an alternative that’s as good as YouTube (ignoring all the bad bits they’ve added). PeerTube is nice to have around, but it’s not as fast and doesn’t have all the content as youtube. There’s also Nebula, which is alright. It’s not free and doesn’t have as much content, but it’s usually a higher quality.

• @Jeffool@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

You’re obviously right. But it’s funny to me; I find it easy to imagine a world where staying independent and hosting your own stuff was seen as cooler. Instead of YouTube and Google Buzz, we ran RSS clients akin to Outlook and Thunderbird. They torrent and seed media we’re subscribed to while we’re at work or class. It’s saved on a home server. We walk in and simply toss it up on our desktop or TV. (Or maybe a mobile client streams from your home server over the Internet or over your home Wi-Fi if you’re at home )

And if you visited the website instead of YouTube’s recommendations, The creator just adds a few RSS feeds on the backend to pull thumbnails from, of other creators’ sites they enjoy.

Crazy how easy it is to daydream though, when I’m not the one putting the work in.

• @richieadler@lemmy.myserv.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          66 months ago

I find it easy to imagine a world where staying independent and hosting your own stuff was seen as cooler.

Sadly, money trumps “cool” most of the time.

• @Littleborat@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

RSS would have been it. Ask around how many people even get the concept of it.

We have had it all but people chose the dumb version of it.

• @wewbull@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        56 months ago

There was a world before YouTube. It grew from humble beginnings. Granted it didn’t have an incumbent to fight off, but it had all the server issues, bandwidth issues and similar.

The only thing that stops someone else doing it is the user base.

• Venia Silente
        link
        fedilink
        English
        46 months ago

The problem with youtube in particular is there is no way to build an alternative that’s as good as YouTube

as good

I mean, assuming that’s exactly what people wan, “exactly youtube but cheaper”, then yeah it’s an impossible and thankless task to even try something of that scale. Instead it’s better to think of building youtube alternatives that are focused on one or two parameters that allow organizational optimizations. For example, much of the issue that people complain about is the storage, but a YT-alt that dedicates to eg.: archivism of old TV shows, that scan at best at 480p or 360p, wouldn’t need to spend that much in storage compared to a service that is trying to serve 4K UHD 120fps Subwoofer Surround; that combined with the topical focus suddenly makes it much more scaleable and approachable.

• @ferralcat@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          36 months ago

I’m always a bit shocked the worlds governments don’t start offering free email/hosting to their citizens. It’d give them a cheap way to surveil that was “opt-in” (but would probably catch a lot of dumb people) and everyone would have a “verified” email for official stuff too. It seems like a good investment to me.

• Final Remix
          link
          fedilink
          English
          46 months ago

More the commercial/pro side of things. They cost money.

• @gohixo9650
          link
          English
          26 months ago

I’m also curious why people pretend it doesn’t exist when they say “there is no other video uploading platform like youtube”

• @pascal@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            46 months ago

Vimeo is expensive, I don’t know how it works today, but when I tried it, I had to pay to upload some videos.

• @gohixo9650
              link
              English
              edit-2
              6 months ago

ok, I think I had missed this crucial difference in the business model lol

• El Barto
      link
      fedilink
      English
      86 months ago

I’m okay with the less amount of content. Frankly, I mindlessly spent hours scrolling through “content” on reddit, and feeling no satisfaction. At least the content here is more relevant.

More people would mean more memes and rage bait. No thanks.

• @Littleborat@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        46 months ago

You just need to curate your feed like anywhere else. Who can really stand the main page of reddit or yt or anything really?

Reddit made it so hard to use on mobile that I only check it on the weekend on my pc.

• El Barto
          link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

Yup, I used to do that. But then the admins took over some of my curated subs, e.g. programming subs, when the mods refuse to open them up. So now I don’t go to those anymore.

• @shrugal@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      56 months ago

The problem is the network effect. It’s hard to switch from YT if all your favorite channels and creators are there, but it’s also hard for them to switch if all the users are using YT. And because it’s many different people we cannot coordinate a simultaneous transition either.

• GreenM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      36 months ago

That’s why i wen FF+ Duckduck + ublock and instead of reddit > Lemmy But i have to admit that YouTube is harder to replace then reddit and I’ve tried many alternatives.

• @malchior@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      206 months ago

Same. It is no longer worth it, I’ll be sad to lose my music streaming, but there are other pathways that some may consider unethical.

• Final Remix
          link
          fedilink
          English
          46 months ago

That’s getting harder though, at least in my experience. Circa 2010, it was music and shit everywhere. Now it’s slimmer pickin’s, it seems.

• @CrowAirbrush@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            26 months ago

I’ve tried torrents but those seemed to all be dead ends, i found another website that uses some backdoor from a streaming service and the file info is actually correct but you get songs 1 by 1. Which takes a lot of time.

• Keith
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

If you just want YTM for free there’s beatbump on web and Innertune or ViMusic on android

• @malchior@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        16 months ago

If only there was a place to buy DRM free music in the file type I want for use in whatever device I want also for movies.

• @Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      106 months ago

If you subscribe to premium using an Indian IP address, for example, you’ll get it for like a buck a month

• @lemming741@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        76 months ago

I did that for a month from Argentina, then Visa stopped working. I started a personal invidious instance and haven’t looked back.

• @gohixo9650
          link
          English
          26 months ago

a bit off topic but when you say personal instance where is it hosted? And if it is strictly personal, doesn’t google create the same profile for you which will be assigned in your IP if it is hosted in your house, or in your VPS’s IP if hosted elsewhere?

• Karyoplasma
      link
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

YouTube Music is no longer optional. It’s now bundled into the basic features of Premium and Google uses that to justify the insane price hike. Their argument is that it’s cheaper than before for the dozen-or-so people that had subscribed to both YT Music and Premium. All others now “save” on the YT Music subscription, the fact that nobody saves anything by paying for a service they don’t need is completely lost on them. Just corporate greed and pushing the monopoly a bit further, nothing to see here.

• originalucifer
    link
    fedilink
    366 months ago

i jumped the google ecosystem a few years back seeing this coming…

i hear a lot of ‘but i use googles x and googles y’. yep, and you will continue to have those chains on your wrists as long as you choose to have them there. everyone has the choice to start migrating to other email providers, other phone platforms, etc.

im not saying its easy, or something that can happen quickly… but lamenting the fact youre in up to your neck is no reason to give up. baby steps. make bob wiley proud.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍OP
      link
      English
      236 months ago

I’ve ditched everything but android. Been thinking about swapping roms but not all the apps I need for work will works with MicroG. And going apple is, at best, a lateral move.

• @foreverunsure@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        76 months ago

GrapheneOS has sandboxed Play Services which basically means they run just like a normal app on your device and you get to choose the permissions they get. My bank’s app works with it too (no GooglePay tho). It does require you to get a Google Pixel phone though, which might defeat the whole purpose for some.

• @isles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      86 months ago

I’m with you, on course to de-big-tech my life. I’m not even a power user of any of them, but got caught up in the convenience.

link
      fedilink
      English
      46 months ago

The only active google services I do use are

• Android and Google Pixel (because fuck Apple lol)
      • Google Play Store (I sometimes use F-Droid)
      • YT

I replaced my email with my very own domain
      I buy my own storage to host and backup at home.
      What I have from cloud storage is by chance of having Office365 (mainly because Outlook is so much superior for email management. I tried EM-client. It was worse).

• q47txB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    266 months ago

Imagine using the official youtube website. Piped and Invidious FTW.

• @specfreq@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      266 months ago

I simply open up YouTube+Ublock in Firefox on my smartphone.

I actually like the personalized video recommendations from being signed in sometimes, but I still don’t like my data being sold. I use both.

• @EmperorHenry
    link
    English
    136 months ago

Adnauseam! Adguard for desktop loaded with anti AdBlock killer! Lifetime license available!

Sorry I have tourette’s syndrome

• @EmperorHenry
          link
          English
          16 months ago

Not always. Adnauseam makes the anti-adblock bullshit think you’re clicking on ads.

There’s also adguard for desktop which filters ads through a mechanism that’s outside of your browser, which makes it much more difficult for things running inside web pages to fuck with it.