• Chemical Wonka
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

8GB for this price in 2023 is a SCAM. All Apple devices are a SCAM. Many pay small fortunes for luxurious devices full of spyware and which they have absolutely no control over. It’s insane. They like to be chained in their golden shackles.

• trevron@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Agree with you on the price, disagree with the sentiment. Unless you’re comparing to a linux machine it is a bad take. You can do plenty to MacOS and it isn’t constantly trying to reinstall fucking one drive or hijack my search bar or reset my privacy settings after an update.

But yeah, they can fuck off with the prices.

• Chemical Wonka
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Just an example: If Apple simply wants to turn your iPhone into a brick, it can do that and there is no one who can reverse it.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

They already do so with apps.

If Apple deems the app too old, then it won’t be compatible and is as useful as a brick.

• Stormyfemme@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

You know I have software on my PC old enough I can’t run it even in compatibility mode, I’d need to spin up a VM to run it or a pseudoVM like DOSBox, it’s not unheard of it’s not even uncommon.

• Chemical Wonka
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I don’t trust MacOS, its proprietary code obviously hides evil spying and control functions over the user. Apple has always been an enemy of the free software community because it is not in favor of its loyal customers but only its greedy shareholders. There is no balance, Apple has always adopted anti-competitive measures. That’s just to say the least.

• PenguinTD@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

It took the EU legislation to force them adapt USB 3 charger port. Their consumer base are their cows.

• dan@upvote.au
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

And even though they have USB 3 ports, it’s not even a proper USB 3 port as the lower-end models only support USB 2 speeds (480Mbps max)!

• dan@upvote.au
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Lightning was also 480Mbps so I wonder if they just changed the port but kept most of the internals the same

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 months ago

They claim that the die that they use for the M1 chip doesn’t support USB 3 standards but the die that they use for the M1 Pro chip does.

Which is probably true, but they also made the chip so it’s not much of a defence.

• abhibeckert@beehaw.org
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    7 months ago

they also made the chip so it’s not much of a defence

It’s a pretty old chip though. They shipped it over a year ago and even that was mostly just an upgrade from LPDDR4 to LPDDR5. Which is a substantial upgrade, real world performance wise, but most of the engineering work would’ve been done by whoever makes the memory - not Apple’s own chip design team who presumably were working on something else (I’d guess desktop/laptop chips, and those certainly do have USB-3).

Apple certainly could have included USB-3 support in those chips… but three years ago there wasn’t any pressing reason to that so and this year they’ve added support for the models with the most expensive camera. And anyone who cares about data transfer speeds will buy the one with the best camera.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

It’s not even USB 3 it’s USB 2 delivered via USB-C. Because that’s something everybody wants isn’t it, slow charging on a modern standard that should be faster and indeed is faster on every other budget Android phone.

• abhibeckert@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Apple has always been an enemy of the free software community

Apple is one of the largest contributors to open source software in the world and they’ve been a major contributor to open source since the early 1980’s. Yes, they have closed source software too… but it’s all built on an open foundation and they give a lot back to the open source community.

LLVM for example, was a small project nobody had ever heard of in 2005, when Apple hired the university student who created it, gave him an essentially unlimited budget to hire a team of more people, and fast forward almost two decades it’s by far the best compiler in the world used by both modern languages (Rust/Swift/etc) and old languages (C, JavaScript, Fortran…) and it’s still not controlled in any way by Apple. The uni student they hired was Chris Lattner, he is still president of LLVM now even though he’s moved on (currently CEO of an AI startup called Modular AI).

• Chemical Wonka
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Well, look at the annual contribution that Apple makes to the BSD team and see that Apple uses several open source software in its products but with minimal financial contribution. Even more so for a company of this size. Apple only “donates” when it is in its interest that such software is ready for it to use.

• SkepticalButOpenMinded@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s too simplistic. For example, the entry level M1 MacBook Air is hands down one of the best value laptops. It’s very hard to find anything nearly as good for the price.

On the high end, yeah you can save $250-400 buying a similarly specced HP Envy or Acer Swift or something. These are totally respectable with more ports, but they have 2/3rd the battery life, worse displays, and tons of bloatware. Does that make them “not a scam”?

(I’m actually not sure what “spyware” you’re referring to, especially compared to Windows and Chromebooks.)

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

The bloatware really isn’t an arguement because it takes all of 30 seconds to uninstall it all with a script that you get off GitHub. Yeah it’s annoying and it shouldn’t be there but it’s not exactly going to alter my purchase decision.

The M1’s ok value for money, but the problem is invariably you’ll want to do more and more complex things over the lifetime of the device, (if only because basic software has become more demanding), while it might be fine at first it tends to get in the way 4 or 5 years down the line. You can pay ever so slightly more money and future proof your device.

But I suppose if you’re buying Apple you’re probably going to buy a new device every year anyway. Never understood the mentality personally.

My cousin gets the new iPhone every single year, and he was up for it at midnight as well, I don’t understand why because it’s not better in any noticeable sense then it was last year, it’s got a good screen and a nice camera but so did the model 3 years ago. Apple customers are just weird.

• janguv@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

But I suppose if you’re buying Apple you’re probably going to buy a new device every year anyway. Never understood the mentality personally.

My cousin gets the new iPhone every single year, and he was up for it at midnight as well, I don’t understand why because it’s not better in any noticeable sense then it was last year, it’s got a good screen and a nice camera but so did the model 3 years ago. Apple customers are just weird.

I think you’re basing your general estimation of the Apple customer on the iPhone customer a bit too heavily. E.g., I have never had an iPhone and wouldn’t ever consider buying one, considering how locked down and overpriced it is, and how competitive Android is as an alternative OS.

Meanwhile, I’ve been on MacOS for something like 7 or so years and cannot look back, for everyday computing needs. I have to use Windows occasionally on work machines and I cannot emphasise enough how much of an absolute chore it is. Endless errors, inconsistent UX, slow (even on good hardware), etc. It is by contrast just a painful experience at this point.

And one of the reasons people buy MacBooks, myself included, is to have longevity, not to refresh it after a year (that’s insane). It’s a false economy buying a Windows laptop for most people, because you absolutely do need to upgrade sooner rather than later. My partner has a MacBook bought in 2014 and it still handles everyday tasks very well.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

It’s a false economy buying a Windows laptop for most people, because you absolutely do need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I think you missed my point.

You want to keep laptops for ages regardless of what OS it was it runs (really not sure how that would have any bearing on spec fall off), but the MacBook M1 is only competitive now, but it won’t be competitive in 4 to 5 years. The chip is good for its power consumption but it isn’t a particularly high performance chip in terms of raw numbers. But the laptop costs as if it is a high performance chip.

There’s no such thing as a Windows laptop you just buy a laptop and that’s the specs you get so not quite sure what you’re comparing the MacBook too.

• lemillionsocks@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

When compared to other professional level laptops the macbooks do put up a good fight. They have really high quality displays which accounts for some of the cost and of course compared to a commercial grade laptop like a thinkpad the prices get a lot closer(when they arent on sale like thinkpads frequently do).

That said even then the m1 macbook is over a thousand dollars after tax and that gets you just 256GB of storage and 8GB of ram. Theyre annoyingly not as easy to find as intel offerings but you can find modern ryzen laptops that can still give you into the teens of screen on time for less with way more ram and storage space. The m1 is still the better chip in terms of power per watt and battery life overall, but then getting the ram and storage up to spec can make it $700 more than a consumer grade ryzen.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I agree with that. I think there are cheaper laptops, where you can spend less to get less. Not everyone needs a metal body and all day battery life.

• java@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

They have really high quality displays which accounts for some of the cost and of course compared to a commercial grade laptop like a thinkpad

Is that important for a professional laptop? I mean, if you use it for work every day, you probably want a screen that is at least 27 inches, preferably two. It should be capable of adjusting its height for better ergonomics.

• abhibeckert@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

One of the features they highlighted is is the built in display has very similar specs to their 6K 32" professional display (which, by the way, costs more than this laptop). So when you’re not working at your desk you’ll still have a great display (and why are you buying a laptop unless you occasionally work away from your desk?)

• Both have a peak brightness is 1600 nits (a Dell XPS will only do ~600 nits and that’s brighter than most laptops).
            • Both have 100% P3 color gamut (Dell XPS only gets to 90% - so it just can’t display some standard colors)
            • even though it’s an LCD, black levels are better than a lot of OLED laptops
            • contrast is also excellent
            • 120hz refresh rate, which is better than their desktop display (that only runs at 60Hz. Same as the Dell XPS)
            • 245 dpi (again, slightly better than 218 dpi on the desktop display, although you sit further away from a desktop… Dell XPS is 169 dpi)

I love Dell displays, I’ve got two on my desk. But even the Dell displays that cost thousands of dollars are not as good as Apple displays.

• Chemical Wonka
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I 'm not refering to Windows or ChromeOS ( that are full of spyware too ) . The first generation of Mac M1 had a reasonably more “accessible” price precisely to encourage users to migrate to ARM technology and consequently also encourage developers to port their software, and not because Apple was generous. Far from it.Everything Apple does in the short or long term is to benefit itself.

And not to mention that it is known that Apple limits both hardware and software on its products to force consumers to pay the “Apple Idiot Tax”. There is no freedom whatsoever in these products, true gilded cages. Thank you, but I don’t need it. Software and hardware freedom are more important.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I didn’t claim that Apple is doing anything to be “generous”. That seems like it’s moving the goal posts. Say, are other PC manufacturers doing things out of generosity? Which ones?

Even the M2 and M3 Macs are a good value if you want the things they’re good at. For just a few hundred more, no other machine has the thermal management or battery life. Very few have the same build quality or displays. If you’re using it for real professional work, even just hours of typing and reading, paying a few extra hundred over the course of years for these features is hardly a “scam”.

You didn’t elaborate on your “spyware” claim. Was that a lie? And now you claim it’s “known” that Apple limits hardware and software. Can you elaborate?

• Chemical Wonka
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

MacBooks do have excellent screens, software integration and everything else, that’s a fact and I don’t take that away from Apple. But the problem is that it’s not worth paying for this in exchange for a system that is completely linked to your Apple ID, tracking all your behavior for advertising purposes and whatever else Apple decides. Privacy and freedom are worth more. If you can’t check the source code you can’t trust what Apple says, they can lie for their own interests. Have you ever read Apple’s privacy policy regarding Apple ID, for example? If not, I recommend it.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I think that decision makes sense.

What you said got me worried, so I looked into the claim that it is “tracking all your behavior for advertising purposes and whatever else Apple decides”. That’s a convincing concern, and you’ve changed my mind on this. I don’t see any evidence that they’re doing anything close to this level of tracking — the main thing they seem to track is your Mac App Store usage — but they may have the potential to do so in the enshittified future. That gives me pause.

• Stormyfemme@beehaw.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Apple has repeatedly stressed that they’re privacy focused in the past, while a major departure from that could happen absolutely it feels a bit like borrowing trouble to assume it will happen soon. Google is an advertising company first, microsoft is just a mess, but Apple is a luxury hardware producer, they have minimal reason to damange their reputation in a way that would make those sorts of consumers upset.

Please note that I’m not saying it’s impossible just unlikely in the near future

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

That assessment sounds right. I think we just need to stay vigilant as consumers. We have defeasible reason to trust Apple right now. But we’ve seen, especially recently, what happens when we let corporations take advantage of that hard earned trust for short term gain.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I bought a PC the other day and it only had 6 gigabytes of RAM which is pathetic for what I paid for it but there you go. The thing is for a fraction of the price Apple are asking to upgrade it to 16, I upgraded it to 32 gig.

I honestly think I could upgrade it to 64 and still come in under the Apple price. They’re charging something like a 300% markup on commercially available RAM, it’s ridiculous.

• SuperSpruce@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

On storage, the markup is about 2000%.

And on RAM if we compare to DDR5 (not totally fair because of how Apple’s unified memory works), it’s about 800% marked up.

• java@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

All Apple devices are a SCAM.

True. Sometimes I look the specs and prices of Apple devices while visiting large electronic stores. I don’t understand how people who aren’t rich can rationalize buying an Apple device. While it’s true that Windows has become increasingly plagued by invasive ads recently, and macOS seems like the only alternative for many, this issue is relatively recent. On the other hand, MacBooks have been overpriced for years.