For example, if you insist on buying Advil instead of store brand ibuprofen. I mean, you’d be wasting your money in that example, but you do you

• @morganth
    link
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I buy nearly everything generic but generic Band-Aids have terrible adhesive so I always buy name brand.

Edit: Oh, and frozen pizza. I’ve had too many generics with crusts that might as well have been made of cardboard.

• @jeffw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      6 months ago

My local grocery store just made one that slaps actually. But most others suck

edit: I am talking about pizza. I don’t eat band-aids

• @phcorcoran@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      146 months ago

It’s pretty weird to be basically shilling for brands in here but Nexcare bandages are superior to band-aids in pretty much every way; i agree that band-aids beat generic though

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        106 months ago

You a paid rep? No? Then you’re not shilling, you’re sharing a positive experience with $whatever. And that’s a good thing. Helps us all.

• @shadowSprite@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        86 months ago

Can I make a plug for Curad bandaids? So much better than band aid brand and you can get all the available sizes in fun colors. I may be an adult, but I’d like a bright orange band-aid on my skinned elbow thank you

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          6 months ago

LOL, I’ll fight you on Curad vs. Band Aid.

Bang for the buck though? Meh, you gotta use more Curad to get the wound over with, but they’re cheap and not nearly as shitty as the generic shit.

Still. Mediocre.

• @shadowSprite@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            36 months ago

I feel like the Curad bandages I got in the stores always sucked, but I found different ones on Amazon (I know I know, I hate Amazon too) and they’re bigger in comparison to Bandaids, noticeably better quality, and stay on forever if you don’t pull them off.I’ve stuck one on and forgotten about it until over a week later when I realize its still on. I don’t know why they’re different than what I’ve always seen in the stores. I’m also wildly allergic to Band Aid brand adhesive to the point that I have scars shaped like bandages and I’m only very mildly allergic to whatever Curad uses.

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Band-Aids are a great call out!

I’m both active and clumsy with DIY stuff. Nothing else sticks “right” like Band-Aid brand. Yes, the off-brand shit is cheaper, better than nothing, but it’s shit. And you’re not saving any money by using twice as many.

And serious y’all, let me preach the gospel of Hydro Seal Band Aids. Game changing. No clue how they work, but they stick, puff up around the wound (infected bit) and come off when, and only when, you want them to. And taking them off don’t hurt a tiny bit. Got a few in every med kit.

Any more than a paper cut, Hydro Seal. And even then, if I want it healed fast? Hydro Seal. They’re also great for capping torn fingernails when you fucked it up too far down.

Tried the generic Amazon version. Meh, they’re OK for half the price, “healing” tech seems the same. Doesn’t stick quite right so you’ll use twice as many. Worth it if you want that painful finger wound done with in 24-48 hours.

Caveat: They work a little too well on puncture wounds, seals the infection in, only treats the top. If you got poked deep, and congrats if that’s your thing, it seals off the wound and makes it worse. Surface wounds like slices and scratches, go for it. Punched a drill bit 1/4" deep? Nope. Clean that one up and let it breathe a bit.

tl;dr $.70 for a band aid sounds crazy. I know. Just try it for me. Try it for yourself.

• @bestusername@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      86 months ago

I find the cloth generic band aids to be identical to brand name, the plastic one of any brand, well they’re just crap and I don’t know why the even exist.

• ZeroCool
      link
      fedilink
      English
      76 months ago

I buy nearly everything generic but generic Band-Aids have terrible adhesive so I always buy name brand.

Yeah, this is a case of a brand that’s been subject to trademark genericization where the knock-offs and generic products genuinely aren’t as good.

• @dingus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      66 months ago

What frozen pizza do you recommend? Every single time I have the misfortune of trying a frozen pizza, I regret my life choices because they taste like dogshit. Even the crappiest delivered pizza is way better than any frozen pizza I’ve tried. Granted, my experience is limited and I can never remember which ones I’ve tried.l

• @boatswain@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        56 months ago

I’m a fan of Freschetta rising crust personally, with the caveat that you’ll want some hot sauce or something for the crust.

• @knotthatone@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

There aren’t really any good ones, just a few different quality tiers between “low” and “extremely low”

The ones with rising crusts usually have higher quality sauce, cheese and toppings and are more filling because they’re breadier.

• BlanketsWithSmallpox
        link
        fedilink
        16 months ago

How dare you talk shit about Jacks.

Never had problems with tombstones either but Hy-Vee has a nice inhouse pizza for $5. A bit heavy on the 4meats though.

• @dingus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          26 months ago

My experience with frozen pizza is very limited! I’ve never tried Jacks but I’ll keep it in mind! No Hy-Vees in my state tho.

• @OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      46 months ago

Honestly, Safeway Select frozen pizza is pretty good. I’d take it over most of the midrange name brands.

• Karak
      link
      fedilink
      36 months ago

Great Value used to have an amazing 5 cheese and bacon white pizza… can’t find it anymore though.

• @insomniac@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      36 months ago

The problem with non-generic frozen pizza is they cost like a dollar less than a real pizza. Some of the fancier ones cost even more than a pizza from the place right next to the grocery store. Maybe I’m just blessed living in the pizza sphere but even the best frozen pizza is fucking disgusting next to even mediocre real pizza.