When I was on Reddit I felt like my opinion didn’t matter. But here it just feels more open and free.

• Kiloee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel like I am not yet, but I will be. Some of the subs I have on Reddit aren’t here yet, partly because they’re either niche or liked by a lot of people that are less tech literate including their maintainers.

I have gone trough some instances before deciding on my current one and I like the stance of most that are for an active discussion, against mindless downvotes and for overall more communication than social media consumption.

The fact that there is next to no automated account making will also help in the long run I think. It makes it an less attractive target for the bad kind of bots imo.

• eleitl@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Those niche communities you are missing? Recreate them here, and invite people over there to join.

• Kiloee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I would if I had the time to get things off the ground and moderate in the beginning. I wouldn’t want to throw up an instance and then just leave it on its own.

I am not sure if my current server allows for instance creation, since I did not prioritise that when choosing it.

Most of those I am missing are also very picture heavy, now that I think about it. Like constant streams of pictures rather than text posts, which might not be the best for lemmy right now? I imagine it would increase load way faster than text posts do.

I will check through the community finder again later and see which topics might have gotten an instance in the mean time. It has been two weeks since I last checked.