So long and thanks for all the fish, reddit.

Using the PowerDeleteSuite (while it still works) to edit all my comments from a 12 year old account.

P.S. If you want to mass edit and/or delete your comments, do it now (before 01 July when this tool which uses the reddit API stops working).

P.P.S. Yes, I blacked out the embarrassing amount of gold I gave to that dumpster fire of a site.

• tias
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Really?? That seems illegal. Where did you hear that?

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

what do you mean illegal? Its my content, the rights i assign to reddit is so they can republish my content, they like to reach out and extend it further but its not enforceable. i can edit my content as i please, its not theirs to own, its theirs to remix and republish without royalty.

people have very broken ideas of how copyright works, its no wonder we hand it all over so easily.

EDIT: Also they can’t trigger on edits, its much harder for them to do and would result in a deluge of support issues compared to just undeleting stuff. Further I am the original rights issuer, reddit does not take rights from me I assign rights to them. Its questionable they can legally undo edits.

Source, I do this for a living.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I’m talking about them rolling back your deleted messages. That seems illegal for them to do and was wondering where you got the impression that they would do such a thing.

If you do this for a living you probably know about the right to erasure. I don’t see any exception there that would be applicable to Reddit.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

ahh i get what you are saying and 100% agree, i think you may be right, just as i dont think they can roll back my edits, its not why they have a license to my content and that actually does matter.

• Regna@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s unfortunately not illegal. The TOS state that you don’t own your posted content, Reddit does.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The TOS can say they get the right to your firstborn child, but just because they wrote it doesn’t mean it overrides the law.