• Nalivai
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I really don’t like how “consumer-friendly” means “GUI that resembles Windows” in the minds of so many people.

• monkeyman512@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Gotta meet the customer where they are, not where you would like them to be. Most people don’t want to learn a new thing.

• RickyRigatoni@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

You gotta meet the customer halfway until you get enough of them hooked, then slowly start introducing new ideas into their mental ecosystems that align with your vision.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Then add adverts into that ecosystem and center their program menu. Ooh! Then change their right menus! They’d love that! Or, maybe they won’t, but whatever.

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

The company was run by morons so “Xerox” deserves being synonymous with “company run by morons”. But the actual Xerox employees who invented the basic GUI deserve credit for being the great inventors they were. Unfortunately I have no fucking idea who those actual people were.

• Nalivai
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

But no person on the planet, except the nerdiest of pedants, are thinking of Xerox when they see Windows interface. They think of Windows, even if it’s KDE

• monsterpiece42@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I like the terminal but don’t remember all the arguments. I find that clunky. That’s my main issue with it. (I’m open to suggestions if anyone has any)

• Nalivai
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I highly recommend zsh. It takes a moment to setup initially, but you can use oh-my-zsh to just skip that part and use one of the many, many presets, and it supports plugins, of which there are many. It gives you tab support for so many popular commands, you will never need to remember them, and it has a lot of small improvements that makes your terminal life a breath. For example, if you do cd tab in bash, it will give you a list of subdirrectories. If you do the same in zsh, it will give you that list and a cursor that you can use to navigate said list, so instead of typing the dir, you can do cd tab tab tab enter

• Nalivai
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

I have very little experience with fish, but by my first experience zsh was way better at handling wildcard matching, and for me it’s half of the stuff I do. You are trying to open a file and all you remember is that it has some substring in the name probably, you just type some of it, double tab, and you have all the files that match. At the time I was trying it, fish couldn’t do it.

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Lots of terminal commands come with tab-completion out of the box (start typing a command, hit tab to autocomplete, hit tab twice to bring up a list of available options), or have tab completion scripts you can install after the fact.

Lacking tab completion, any worthwhile terminal commands will at least support a -h/--help flag that will print out a help menu summarizing the different options, or you can open up the man pages to see even more detailed documentation with man [whatever terminal command]. If the terminal command doesn’t have either of those, I’d recommend against using it.

• platypus_plumba@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I was just forced to Switch to Mac and let me tell you that I’m actually enjoying it.

Things I like so far:

• An actual modern email client that isn’t web based. Web mail clients feel so cumbersome.

• Same thing for a calendar application.

• Nice reminders app out of the box. Can schedule alarms on reminders and categorize them.

• Nice notes app that I don’t need to constantly save. It never closes, which feels great compared to Gedit.

• Security. Apps notify me when they want to access system resources and I have to authorize them.

• Unix. Unix matters a lot.

• Homebrew has incredible support. I can install almost anything with it.

• Iterm2 feels almost like Terminator.

Things I hate:

• The fact that they have another keyboard layout. Although, after 3 days I’m getting used.

• Updates take forever, it’s insane.

• Can’t easily switch back and forth (not cycle) between windows of same apps. Haven’t figured this one out.

• Docker runs in a VM, it sucks.

• Can’t get used to multiple desktops. I hate them.

Honestly, it isn’t as bad as Windows. As long as I have a terminal and a nice shell, I’m good.

• Octopus@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I use macOS as my daily driver, though still use Linux sometimes. When I dual-booted macOS with Linux, I immediately fell in love. I don’t have a Mac, but my next computer will be a MacBook. Of course there are things I don’t like, but I will not write it down right now, maybe edit this comment later. I love the virtual desktops tough, I always press the green button on Safari to maximize, and put it on a new desktop, so I can easily switch with a 4-finger swipe, and I don’t have to overlay another window or Safari when I am switching apps.

• KeenFlame@feddit.nu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah wow why don’t people like stuff like the compaq book and shit, it was damn impressive!