Not a remake or remaster or rerelease of something old, but something inspired or influenced by something either popular or a cult classic. Also this could extend to hardware/tech too, not only media.

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I am a big big big Linux fan, but I feel that after 30 years, it is time for a non-monolithic kernel. I know Linus hates the idea of microkernels but the era of Rust is finally here and it shows that safe microkernels are fully possible now, and I believe the advantages and modularity can be amazing for a new era of open source computing.

• 0x4E4F@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Some of the devs around Linus are getting warmed up to the idea of a microkernel. Statistics have shown better boot times and better overall performance. As they put it “guess Tannenbaum was right all along” 😂.

Anyway, it should just be a matter of time now. Linus doesn’t like the microkernel idea because it risks stability for the sake of modularity. You maintain the entire code base with a monolithic kernel (drivers, FS, everything), while with a microkernel, you just maintain the kernel, everything else is modular, maintained by someone else, thus, things can go bump in the night. The former is better for stability.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I’m ready for it, but it needs to be GPL3. I’m sick of vendors like Amazon and Nvidia using the Linux kernel but not publishing their drivers. Open your drivers, or dont use the kernel, that simple.

• Redox OS

I’ve had it on my “to try” list for a while, but haven’t set aside time yet. It looks pretty good on paper, though.

New OSes have a tough hill to climb, with a mountain of hardware drivers. Until theres a decent corpus of drivers, running on bare metal is limited to a small few number of people.

• KSP Atlas@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Ive tried redox before, its in a very basic state, ive never gotten it to boot on real hardware and there are only a few basic utilities and Netsurf installed

• Yeah, building an OS is a lot of work. It may be a while (if ever) before Redox is a daily driver; it took Linux 10 years before it was a viable option, and another 10 before it was common… and that was back when there was far less hardware to support. Uphill battle, like I said. However, it’s actively developed, has more than one contributor, and ticks the requested boxes: Rust, micro, modern.

• Kissaki@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

What does that mean for modularity and support?

Microkernel only refers to the core, right? Is the idea that it can make inbound guarantees on drivers and firmware? Does it not still depend on the extensions being secure even if your micro kernel is?

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Windows, Mac, Freebsd, etc all use some sort of modular kernel. Linux finally going to a microkernel or even a hybrid kernel would be one of the first basic steps towards modernizing Linux. So it will probably happen in 10 years or so.