YouTube’s Loaded With EV Disinformation::When it comes to articles on a website like CleanTechnica, there are two kinds of articles. First, there are the … [continued]

• @cmgvd3lw
    link
    English
    296 months ago

I am against cars getting more like everyday electronic gadgets. Why do you need a selfie camera inside it? Also who attends zoom calls in it? Evs are notorious for doing so. Not to mention all the privacy concerns over the data these smartcars collect.

• @cordlesslamp@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      196 months ago

At an EV car showroom the other day, one of the big main focus function of the car that the salesman tried to pitch was “you can browse Amazon or do shopping online on the infotainment system”. Also, you have to pay for a subscription to "unlock " the top speed and torque.

This is not the USA, so maybe it’s just a thing in my country.

• Echo Dot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

Was it BMW because they’re awful for that kind of thing. But then again you deserve it for buying a BMW don’t you.

Not that this really has anything to do with electric cars the same thing could be pulled off with ICE vehicles. I don’t actually mind my car having cameras and microphones but if my car is going to have cameras I want all the data stored locally unless I choose to upload it to some online location.

• Flying Squid
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

Tesla has a game system on its huge touchscreen panel. At least you have to be parked to use it, but that’s still fucking stupid.

• @Locrin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        06 months ago

I don’t like or understand it therefore it is stupid.

My wife played some Fallout Shelter while we were in the carwash one time. I played some arcade game while in the waiting with my daugher while the wife was inside the store getting some groceries. It’s pretty neat. And when we go on a roadtrip next summer it might be nice to play a game of chess while charging.

• Flying Squid
          link
          fedilink
          English
          56 months ago

It’s a car. Use your phone or something. Cars aren’t game systems.

• Cosmic Cleric
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

It’s a car. Use your phone or something. Cars aren’t game systems.

AKA …

Bah Fucking Humbug!

Nothing wrong with playing a video game (or watch a show/movie) in a car while you’re waiting for somebody in the store. Doesn’t matter which device it’s being played on.

• @Locrin@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -26 months ago

My car is. It’s also one of the fastest family sedan on the road, it has almost zero maintenance cost. The future is now old man, sorry if you can not keep up.

• Flying Squid
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -16 months ago

That has nothing to do with what I’m talking about. Also… It must be nice to be rich, but bragging about it is not especially civil.

• @Locrin@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                16 months ago

Not rich, older Model S with warranty since it was sold by Tesla. 24K USD split between two people is quite affordable.

• @Locrin@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            06 months ago

It’s completely out of your way if you don’t go looking for it. For those that enjoy it it is great. Too bad you are so close minded and simple you can not see other people’s point of view. How limiting it must be for you.

• FLeX
              link
              fedilink
              English
              36 months ago

I see the point of view. But I find it stupid

• @limelight79@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              36 months ago

I worry about features in cars.

For example, our Mazda has headlights that turn with the steering wheel (ala Tucker Torpedo’s center light). Neat idea and it is a useful feature while driving at night on the rural roads by our house. But what will happen when it fails, and how much will they cost to replace? (I’ve been told they “fail straight ahead”, but who really knows for sure. I’m hoping we get rid of the car before that happens.)

I saw a pickup with automatic folding mirrors having an issue with them folding and unfolding while the guy was driving. I followed him through several traffic lights and watched it happen a few times. Automatic folding mirrors would be a nice feature on my pickup, but I’d rather not have them fail especially when I’m towing a trailer and be completely blind to the rear-right.

I’ve seen pickups with the running bar that folds out. I’m not sure there’s much value in that other than “oooh shiny” but if it fails to open while I’m getting out, it could hurt.

Our Mazda again has several software bugs in the infotainment system. None of these are critical, but it does make me wonder how much testing they did on the software that controls the brakes, for example. Are the brakes going to fail to release someday? I already know the computer has some control of them, because of the auto-hold feature that I usually keep turned off, and because I sometimes notice a slight delay in releasing the brakes when I take my foot off the pedal.

The FCA Uconnect 8.4 infotainment systems allowed an attacker to remotely take over throttle, brakes, etc. until they were patched. That’s an obvious safety issue.

And that crash at the Peace Bridge last week, it seems very likely it was caused by an issue with the car, rather than the driver (there is evidence the driver was alert and trying to stop, and he swerved around another car that turned in front of him before the crash). Turns out the right-hand drive version of that car had a recall of an issue with the accelerator…which supposedly did not effect left-hand drive vehicles. But here we are with two people dead and a third injured from a vehicle that may have been accelerating out of control through no fault of the driver.

The point is that including additional features, even if only software, increases the complexity of the system and makes errors more likely. It increases the chances of some unexpected interaction or failure. It increases the surface of a software attack for a potential safety issue. It makes the code that much harder to test for bugs in general and security in particular.

• @Locrin@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                6 months ago

our Mazda has headlights that turn with the steering wheel

That sounds pretty cool, but also horrible if they fail as you seem worried about, when they are pointing to the side. I am partial to the little extra lights that shine to the side when turning sharply. If they should fail they will not impact the vision ahead.

automatic folding mirrors

Yeah, we disable ours in the winter because of issues when snow and ice builds up and they automatically try to fold in or out and get stuck. Disabling them in the winter time works well. I just use them manually when it is safe to do so. Quite nice in tight parking garages.

I sometimes notice a slight delay in releasing the brakes when I take my foot off the pedal.

An Audi Etron in Norway just had a complete failure of the breaking functionality. https://dinside.dagbladet.no/motor/skrekkopplevelse-vi-hadde-griseflaks/80583545 It is in Norwegian but you can right click and translate to english ( at least in Edge ). There is still a mechanical connection to the breaks most likely, but it is hard to break hard enough when the car weighs 2.5 Tons.

And that crash at the Peace Bridge

Have not seen that one. That is terrible. There should be complete separation between the software that controls the drivetrain, breaks etc in a modern car, and the part that plays spotify. In my car atleast. I can reboot the screen that shows the map, spotify, and speedometer while driving and the essential car functionality such as breaking, gears and blinking still works with no issue.

• @TK420@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                06 months ago

That’s why I never bought any smartphones, I wondered how I’d make phone calls if something else broke on it. Like what happens if the camera dies, or the battery fails? /s

Oh right, you fix it or replace it like everything else in the world.

We should probably stop advancing technology for the sake of the few drawbacks….sounds kinda silly doesn’t it?

• @limelight79@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  26 months ago

Your smartphone failing doesn’t involve 3,000+lbs of heavy machinery flying down the highway, now does it? Your smartphone failing isn’t going to kill you or anyone else. A car failing sure as hell can. That alone requires it to have a greater standard of quality and care.

• @TK420@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    16 months ago

But to your point, non functioning running boards aren’t going to do that, nor mirrors not folding, etc.

• Cosmic Cleric
                link
                fedilink
                English
                06 months ago

You speak as if there’s never been any recalls of cars in the past, before they had electronic and computer systems in them.

My Ford Explorer trunk door almost fell on my head and killed me. It’s tires shredded while driving on the freeway at high speeds, almost killing me and my family, twice. Neither of those had electronics or computer parts.

I don’t think you’ll have any car manufactured anymore that’s not complex, it’s just part of what happens over time, new technology is taken advantage of in the manufacturing of products.

• @limelight79@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  26 months ago

I’m not sure I follow your point here. Even necessary parts of a car failed for you, and almost caused injury. Now people are advocating adding unnecessary parts to cars that may also fail and cause injuries or death.

• Cosmic Cleric
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    edit-2
                    6 months ago

I’m not sure I follow your point here.

I would have thought this was straightforward enough…

You speak as if there’s never been any recalls of cars in the past, before they had electronic and computer systems in them.

Your whole comment that I replied to was about faults in advanced/electronic systems as the reasons that make cars unsafe to drive.

Now people are advocating adding unnecessary parts

“Unnecessary” is in the eye of the beholder.

They were very few parts needed to actually make an automobile go into motion and be steerable, but there’s many additional bells and whistles that people considered necessary for them when they purchase a vehicle.