Thinking of trying to morph my Leap workstation into Tumbleweed (and potentially Slowroll once that project matures enough). I’ve seen that you can do it . I reckon I can rollback relatively easily via the BTRFS snapshots if it goes sideways, but just curious to see what others’ experience with doing so has been.

• popcorp
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Don’t do it. Instead of doing something useful you will be in a constant process of updating and rebooting and dealing with breaking changes and eventually you will give up and switch back to Leap.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I have used TW for years, and never got bothered by a breaking change for more than a day. And that only happened twice.

The only thing that keeps bothering me with Opensuse is their obsession with asking for a root password (and not for yours if you are an administrator, I mean the root user password) for every damn thing. Even installing a fucking user Flatpak requires a fucking root password !

• Dremor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Like I said, last time I checked even a “user” level Flatpak required to use the root password to install. But it may have changed (for the better) since, which is a good thing.

Still, my main point is that most the paranoia of the default OpenSUSE settings is way overboard, and should be toned down quite a lot. A lot of action that would ask for the user password, if not no password at all, requires the root password on OpenSUSE.

I want to use OpenSUSE over Ubuntu or Fedora, I even started contributing back with some package updates here and there, but I just can’t because of those bothering root password prompts everywhere.

• calm.like.a.bomb@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Have you even tried to do it? You don’t sound like it.

I’ve done the Leap -> TW switch three years ago and I’m updating once a month (or maybe once every two months for a while) and never got any breakage.