Thinking of trying to morph my Leap workstation into Tumbleweed (and potentially Slowroll once that project matures enough). I’ve seen that you can do it . I reckon I can rollback relatively easily via the BTRFS snapshots if it goes sideways, but just curious to see what others’ experience with doing so has been.

• dino
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Tumbleweed for over 10 years, if you know how to roll back with snapper there is nothing to lose.

• bizdelnick@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

While transition to Thumbleweed can go smooth if you are lucky enugh, switch from Thumbleweed to Slowroll can be problematic. It will envolve downgrading packages that is usually not tested at all. Better switch from Leap to Slowroll directly.

• Rockslide0482OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

It’s only been around for less than a year as far as I’m aware and from what I gather still seems to be finding its sea legs as far as balancing between what rolls in immediately(ish) and what comes in through the big “tumbles”

• Pantherina@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I guess with the BTRFS snapshots there is no reason to not use TW. But Slowroll really sounds like a Distro that makes sense

• GravitySpoiled@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Why not moving to microos? I’ve moved to fedora silverblue from fedora and it’s been a well rewarding journey. I see no big difference to microos

• popcorp
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Don’t do it. Instead of doing something useful you will be in a constant process of updating and rebooting and dealing with breaking changes and eventually you will give up and switch back to Leap.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I have used TW for years, and never got bothered by a breaking change for more than a day. And that only happened twice.

The only thing that keeps bothering me with Opensuse is their obsession with asking for a root password (and not for yours if you are an administrator, I mean the root user password) for every damn thing. Even installing a fucking user Flatpak requires a fucking root password !

• Dremor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Like I said, last time I checked even a “user” level Flatpak required to use the root password to install. But it may have changed (for the better) since, which is a good thing.

Still, my main point is that most the paranoia of the default OpenSUSE settings is way overboard, and should be toned down quite a lot. A lot of action that would ask for the user password, if not no password at all, requires the root password on OpenSUSE.

I want to use OpenSUSE over Ubuntu or Fedora, I even started contributing back with some package updates here and there, but I just can’t because of those bothering root password prompts everywhere.

• calm.like.a.bomb@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Have you even tried to do it? You don’t sound like it.

I’ve done the Leap -> TW switch three years ago and I’m updating once a month (or maybe once every two months for a while) and never got any breakage.