• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

The technique I’ve used to trigger lucid dreaming is noticing when “static” text changes or is otherwise nonsense… so I have my doubts. And zero desire to learn more because I’m full up on dystopias right now.

• dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

One of the best indicators that you are in a dream is if you can’t read something that you are trying to read. For whatever reason, reading is impossible while dreaming and most people don’t even have writing in their dreams to read. I do have writing in my dreams, but only rarely and am not able to read it. I’ve definitely used it to trigger lucid dreaming. I also use stuff like, “wait, how am I breathing under water?”

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

My most consistent dream sign is that I cannot run. I don’t just get exhausted, I lose coodrination, but can for some reason continue running on my fours like a dog. Maybe it’s just being a furry?

Another one is losing my backpack or purse, getting anxiety about how I screwed up and thinking it must not be real.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I usually didn’t either, but the (tedious) technique I used led to a lot more text in my dreams. I think because my subconscious was looking for them.

You have to spend a few weeks making this a habit: Every time you see a sign read it, look away, look back, and read it again. Once you’ve done that awake long enough it’ll become a proper habit and it will carry through in to dreams. And in a dream when you look back the sign will be different - which will make you realize you’re in a dream.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

That’s a common method people use to lucid dream. One thing I’ve read about is people making it a consistent habit to check their watch regularly while awake, so they eventually do it while asleep. Apparently clocks always look fucked up in dreams, so that’s when they’re able to figure out they’re dreaming I guess?

But yeah, something about not being able to read text or a clock in a dream. Gets all weird.