• @j4k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    311 months ago

Your home instance has a big impact on what you can see. It is something of an uphill struggle coming from a smaller instance if others have not already found communities elsewhere. IIRC, you may not be able to subscribe to many unless you first try to post a message to them. This establishes the connection between instances/communities if no one else has already made the connection on your instance. It was a question that came up on .world a lot back when Lemmy was just a few thousand total users, but it is not something I have had to do. I have accounts on other instances that have defederated or that I want to separate interaction from. There is nothing wrong with having accounts elsewhere. If you just use a mobile browser and save login creds it is easy to use several accounts at the same time. I know this seems crazy, to go back to a browser based existence, but the fediverse is not trying to make browsers difficult in order to funnel people onto a stalkerware app. It works quite well.