• myxi
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Manjaro Linux is Arch Linux based. Manjaro and Arch relation is like Ubuntu and Debian relation.

Manjaro has its own set of issues that you may want to stay away from.

Edit: Ignore this comment, the image was loaded late. I thought it was a genuine question.

• @pixxel
      link
      210 months ago

Thanks for linking this, I had totally missed the problems with manjaro.

• jerry
    link
    fedilink
    810 months ago

I hate how weird the focus on arch installation is. I got attacked on reddit for calling endeavour arch. Like, I used that shitty method of installation in 1997, it’s tedious and there are better ways now.

• @jaykstah@waveform.social
      link
      fedilink
      110 months ago

Yeah people definitely go overboard with that. I think the only real problem is that Arch-based distros might be using other repositories and not be completely sync’d with Arch itself so then users will go to Arch support forums or communities with problems that don’t affect vanilla arch. But I’ve never really cared when people using derivatives claim they’re on an Arch system.

Installing isn’t even as big of an undertaking these days too, so it’s less of an achievement then people would like to think. Last time I did a clean install on my laptop I just ran the ‘arch-install’ script included on the vanilla ISO and it was super easy, lets you choose where you want it installed, pick from a list of desktop environments, and you pick between alternatives for other common packages then you’re good to go without having to do much manual work during the install itself.

• @ikidd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    710 months ago

Do we really need to bring that bullshit over from Reddit? Manjaro is fine, Arch is fine, distroshaming is for children.

• @j4k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    510 months ago

OP - use Post Image to host and only post the links to Lemmy, especially on .ml where the server is (IIRC) someone’s self hosted system. Uploading to Post Image is just like old skool imgur before it became trackerware junk. Once uploaded, open the image itself in a new tab in the browser to be sure you have the full size raw image URL. Then paste this into the post. You can even do this after posting something like this post in an edit too. If you want to post a linked image into the body of a post or in a comment, the syntax is:

![image](OnlyEditThisPartWithYourURL)

Leave the “image” text in the brackets alone.

This extra step for external image hosting will reduce the load on all instances, and the image will load much faster for users, avoiding most confusion about this being a meme when you posted it in Linux instead of Linux-memes.

https://postimages.org

• Sinthoras39OP
      link
      edit-2
      10 months ago

ok thanks. im new to this and just ctrl-v-ed with the image in my clipboard. do you hav esome tips on finding communities? its not as easy as on reddit…

• @j4k3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

Your home instance has a big impact on what you can see. It is something of an uphill struggle coming from a smaller instance if others have not already found communities elsewhere. IIRC, you may not be able to subscribe to many unless you first try to post a message to them. This establishes the connection between instances/communities if no one else has already made the connection on your instance. It was a question that came up on .world a lot back when Lemmy was just a few thousand total users, but it is not something I have had to do. I have accounts on other instances that have defederated or that I want to separate interaction from. There is nothing wrong with having accounts elsewhere. If you just use a mobile browser and save login creds it is easy to use several accounts at the same time. I know this seems crazy, to go back to a browser based existence, but the fediverse is not trying to make browsers difficult in order to funnel people onto a stalkerware app. It works quite well.

• @Sneeze7713
    link
    510 months ago

i was hopeful for manjaro. bad management for sure

• @atomic@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

for me, Debian -> Ubuntu -> Arch -> Artix -> Void -> Gentoo. I’ll reach my final form when I finally run LFS.

• @Mereo@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

Meh. I’ve been using Manjaro for two years now. So far so good. System has been working perfectly.

• @Shareni@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

Congrats? But that doesn’t change the fact it’s shit.

Manjaro is without a doubt the worst arch derivative by far. Their whole marketing pitch is: “You heard that the arch repo has the most packages, and that they’re all fresh from the pipeline? Use manjaro, and replace it with a smaller one that delays updates by two weeks for absolutely no reason! You want to use arch because of AUR? Oh, the package failed to install because your system is weeks out of date? Tough shit, we’re not supporting AUR…”

It had a value in the time before archinstall, Endeavour, Arco, and Garuda. Each of them either only install arch with sane defaults, or provide some other benefits. Manjaro does neither, unless you count delaying security patches a benefit.

• @Fizz@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

I tried all the other arch distros and there was something critical broken off the bat with each one. Manjaro was working perfect out of the box and the only issue so far was my fault. All the complains about it seem very nitpicky.

• @jaykstah@waveform.social
    link
    fedilink
    110 months ago

I think my pipeline was like Ubuntu > Kubuntu > Linux Mint > ElementaryOS (briefly) > Manjaro > Arch

I never pushed past into the Gentoo rabbit hole but i think settling on Arch has been the best move for my own setup.

Still tempted to try out Nix in the near future, the reproducibility of it just seems so nice to have as I usually forget to document changes I make and have to relearn some stuff when I do a clean Arch install somewhere.

• FoggyRoses
    link
    fedilink
    110 months ago

iirc manjaro has some issues with the time they take to verify packages, so a lot of people stopped using it endeavour os has kinda taken its place

• FoggyRoses
    link
    fedilink
    110 months ago

iirc manjaro has some issues with the time they take to verify packages, so a lot of people stopped using it endeavour os has kinda taken its place

• @snap@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    110 months ago

Been running manjaro as a daily driver for 3 years now. System is perfectly stable and does exactly what I need it to do! There’s no way I’ll get into the whole arch vs manjaro thingy :P