link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

some do.

I have a small community masto instance and don’t. If my users want to block the instance, it’s literally 2 clicks and a confirmation away.

Doing to server wide is massively patronizing towards the users

• pelespirit@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Nah, users can vote and then if they don’t get the vote they want, they can go to another instance.

• pelespirit@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

But can’t Mastodon post on Lemmy and Lemmy can’t block instances on an individual basis? That’s the way I understand it currently stands. I don’t want threads showing up in my feed and would like to block them.

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

yup. And that’s what we did. The majority of people either didn’t care either way or didn’t want to block it. With way more “don’t block” than “block”. So that’s that. At least for now

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I see it as just virtue signaling. At the end, we can choose to not join those servers who defederate with them, but I can also think it’s a stupid decision at the same time lol.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

You might want to look up what patronize means, in the common phrase “don’t patronize me” it’s used sarcastically.

Essentially, replace the word with “helpful” in your sentence, and you’ll see why it doesn’t fit.

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

yeah, I get what you mean. But it’s still mostly fitting in the way I feel about it. Basically: users can think for themselves. They don’t need me to take care of the bit scary world out there.

Doing so for a whole instance feels super condecending. “I know better than you what you want. I’m going to block it”

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

I get what you meant, which is why I replied, I’m saying that that word means the opposite of what you intended.

To patronize someone is not a bad thing, the word means “to be someone’s customer/patron” and through doing so, supporting and helping them. That’s where patreons name comes from, for example.

In the phrase “don’t patronize me” it’s used sarcastically to say “I know you’re trying to help, but please don’t” but the word doesn’t actually refer to someone who is going over your head to do things for you. It’s actual meaning is 100% positive, and hence confuses what you’re saying. Which is that blocking threads should be done by users because it should be their decision.

Instead, your final sentences literal meaning, paraphrased, is “a server-wide block would be really good and helpful for all my users”.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

Can’t argue with real-world use, but man that is a semantic shift that is doing the original word dirty.

Apparently patronage and other forms of the word are having their definitions affected, too.

I read a lot of books so I’m definitely a lot more used to how words are used up to several decades ago.

• loobkoob@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I don’t know if it’s perhaps a regional thing but, in the UK, “being patronising” is used pretty much exclusively in the pejorative sense, with a similar meaning to “condescending”. I don’t think I’ve ever heard (in actual conversation) “being patronising” used to mean someone is giving patronage, in fact - we would say someone is “giving patronage” or “is a patron” instead. We also pronounce “patronise” differently, for whatever reason: “patron” is “pay-trun”, “patronage” is “pay-trun-idge” but “patronise” is “pah-trun-ise”.

It seems the pejorative use of the word dates back to at least 1755, too, so it’s not exactly a new development.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

in the UK, “being patronising” is used pretty much exclusively in the pejorative sense, with a similar meaning to “condescending”

It’s the same in the US, and has been ever since I can remember. No idea where this person lives that the positive meaning would be the first thing they’d think of.

• Cracks_InTheWalls@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

What about patronising as in ‘patronising this business’? A little archaic, but I do hear it from time to time, usually with the ‘pay’ pronounciation.

Then again, if someone is accusing me of being patronising (which happens a lot for reasons I don’t quite understand, but I digress), it’s split odds whether I’m “pah-trun-ising” or “pay-trun-ising”.

English is weird (perhaps this is its wyrd?)

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

They might be, but that’s generally a bad idea online (without using /s), someone like me who can’t hear their tone of voice could come along :D