link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Jokes aside.

It really is exhausting to always seek for knowledge.

I think everybody needs a little bit of silence in his head once in a while.

• MrAlternateTape@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Classic meditation method: don’t block any thoughts, just accept any thought that pops up, and visualise it floating away. Usually does the trick for me.

Or visualize a water flow like a river streaming through your mind, taking all the thoughts with it.

There are lots of visualisations you can do to help clear your mind or control your emotions.

• Lophostemon@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Yeah. I keep forgetting to do it. I used to get retarded drunk and that slowed my brain down but I’m not allowed to do that anymore.

• kernelle@0d.gs
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s what being bored is for! We need to be bored sometimes.

• fallingcats
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

You’re allowed to have fun sometimes, as a treat

• Newtra@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I honestly don’t know what that silence would be like. I’ve spent my programming career jumping between domains, becoming an expert then moving on to find a new challenge. Now I’m building AI stuff for medicine.

In my down time I learn languages, watch videos about physics and math, and play puzzle games.

My brain actually won’t let me stop. Boredom = pain.

• rosymind@leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

You sound like you’re way smarter than I am, but I can absolutely relate to bordom=pain.

I’m constantly learning new things, or delving deeper into subjects I’m already familiar with. I can’t help it. My brain won’t have it any other way (otherwise I get destructive)

• Newtra@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I could just be further down the path due to lucky opportunities. 20 years ago I had no ambitions beyond game programming. It was only when I got a biology-related job that learning in my free time started displacing mindless entertainment. The whole field is one big nerd snipe - there are endless opportunities where you can advance the frontier of knowledge by combining a few existing ideas and working out the kinks. The more you read, the more opportunities you see. It’s thrilling. I don’t think I can go back to non-science work.

I think the dopamine from constant learning also helps to keep my ADHD in check. If I start the weekend with some study, I’ll usually also get the housework done. If I start with a video game or TV show, I’ll probably spend the rest of the weekend stressing about my todo list and not getting anything done.

• PoisonedPrisonPanda
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

The edge to overoptimize yourself is very close and thats even more a hassle when hobbies become hustles and the brain doesnt distinguish anymore between work and hobby and freetime and me time.

Its a spiral which can lead fast to burnout or other related stuff.

Kudos to you that you made it this far and successfull in a challenging field.

• learningduck@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

This sound like me, but I’m not as smart as you.

I learned to sketch, and paint miniatures. It gave me some kind of silence. I have to study painting techniques also. So, if I want to keep my mind occupied, but not too heavy, then I could watch some painting tutorials.

• fossilesque@mander.xyzOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

No, you’re wise. Rest is so incredibly important and art is another form of idea exploration.

• jaschen@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

As someone with ADHD with severe hyperfocus, I feel you. Just once I want to think about nothing. Even with meds, it only helps me defocus. Doesn’t stop the thinking.