• skuzz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

They won’t fix driver’s ed, nor ensure cars are safe because America is a car country with no public transport in most of it. So to get the plebeian workers to generate profit for the rich, they need them on the road driving to and from work an hour or two each day. To a German, our idiocy would be absolutely confounding. We don’t take driving nearly as serious as the Germans.

I’ve seen an old woman at a DMV fail the vision test, and the employee just pretended it didn’t matter and let her pass because without her driver’s license she couldn’t get around. We have cars on the road missing body parts, rusted through, warped brake rotors, seized calipers, damaged safety devices, they can be in any state of broken, and in most states, that’s perfectly fine to drive in.

This really weird grab for installing drunk driving interlock is just…that, weird. It seems like it is meant to target the “lower classes”, which is strange because it will drive up the cost of cars even further, and their prices have already ballooned in the last decade.

Distracted cell phone driving, which the NHTSA claims only accounted for 3,522 deaths in 2021, seems a much more prevalent (all day and night) issue in frequency, (although likely, not as fatal) as most people I see while driving around aren’t looking at the road, they’re just looking down at their phone. One person even told me they use their car’s lane departure correction feature as an ersatz autopilot, letting the car ping-pong down the road so they can focus on reading their phone.