• @Halcyon
    link
    English
    2085 months ago

Same goes for kitchens. Give me real buttons and knobs and not these abhorrent touch panels that refuse to work every third time. A good quality kitchen appliance is identified by high quality knobs that last for decades.

• @0110010001100010@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I pumped gas at a brand new Shell station over the weekend. The controls for the pump was one GIANT touchscreen (I’m talking probably 12 inches wide by 36 inches tall). It was fucking PAINFUL to use. Every touch took 2-3 seconds for the action to happen. Da fuck is wrong with a regular pump and regular buttons that just work!?

• 567PrimeMover
        link
        fedilink
        1045 months ago

Because then they don’t have a display the size of a living room TV to shove ads in your face

• the post of tom joad
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          5 months ago

And to sell to the station owner when their proprietary hardware breaks. Oh what am i saying, they’re all service contacts these days. So more expensive service conrtacts and the ability to shut them down for non-payment

• the post of tom joad
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              5 months ago

Were the old ones not the same…?

The contracts? Pumps? Im kinda talking out my ass here but currently there’s no ability to shut down the pumps themselves as far as i understand it (in l understanding coming from being a cashier at one once. The touchscreens outside just process the customers payments. Without those they can still be run from the other system inside. The pumps are not connected to Wi-Fi.

My hypothetical assumes more and more control left to the touchscreen outside i guess, and i ran with it. If it doesn’t make much sense then just reread my first sentence ;)

• ripcord
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

The conversation was about locking in the owners to their expensive proprietary pumps as a reason for switching to this new style, and I was asking if lock-in was actually a new thing or not. Otherwise the comment doesn’t really make a lot of sense in context.

• Edgarallenpwn [they/them]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          45 months ago

Reminder to try and press any of the buttons on the side of the screen to mute if possible. 2nd right or bottom right works on all the pumps around me but I dread the day we get touch only

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It should be illegal to connect a touch screen to a computer that runs like a potato. Even computers in the 80s could respond to keystrokes and mouse clicks in real time.

• capital
          link
          fedilink
          English
          95 months ago

If it keeps getting broken they might reconsider.

• @Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          45 months ago

It seems to be a very popular mindset in software development that efficiency isn’t as important because of how fast hardware has gotten.

This sucks because I don’t get better hardware just to make up for worse software (not that it even does; a lot of browser-based apps are painfully slow), and some of these devs end up working on weaker platforms that don’t make up for their shitty programming. They might not ever touch the platform it is actually supposed to run on and instead work on a dev machine that is powerful enough to make it look good. It’s possible that neither them nor anyone hiring/managing them realizes that they aren’t the kind of programmer they want.

Though it’s also possible that the programmers are fine and have told their managers that the CPUs just aren’t powerful enough for what they want them to do but some assholes are only looking at the bottom line and have low standards for these kind of things in their own life (my TV is slow, so it’s no big deal that our car interface is slow).

Worst thing is it’s probably less than a $50 difference in cost to switch to something that could handle it fine, assuming it’s not programmed in JavaScript and HTML or slow because it’s backend is on the cloud or some shit like that, which also wouldn’t surprise me.

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            45 months ago

It seems to be a very popular mindset in software development that efficiency isn’t as important because of how fast hardware has gotten.

How’s this for irony: I was hired at my current job as part of a team whose whole mission is to address performance problems in a large desktop app…that’s written entirely in Typescript!

• @Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              15 months ago

It’s kinda funny how some are willing to develop a skill to great depth (you’d have to know JavaScript/TypeScript very well to write a full deal desktop application in it, and it probably involved a LOT of frustrating debug if performance is the main issue with it) but don’t spend any time on breadth to understand that some depths aren’t worth it.

• @psud@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          15 months ago

We used to have a rule in computer system design that if an event would take more than 4 seconds we had to show a “waiting” icon like the hourglass.

Now though, people are sensitive to half a second between tap/click and something happening. Incidentally there’s no reason for a fuel pump control to be slow, even running on a potato. The engineer who designed it wasn’t given time to make it efficient

• FaceDeer
        link
        fedilink
        185 months ago

In Canada it really sucks having to take your gloves off half the year. I hope this gets taken into account when touchscreens on gas pumps are considered.

• Aniki 🌱🌿
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Try wearing very thin neoprene under your bigger gloves. It’s been a game changer for me. I have a horrible habit of taking my gloves off from years of snowboarding and those have been awesome.

• @topinambour_rex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        45 months ago

Your experience remembers me those old touch screen we had at the library in the 90s. The screen was monochrome, but touch sensitive. It took several seconds for react.

• @ZiemekZ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        25 months ago

What do you need a touchscreen for? You just take an appropriate pump (E95, Diesel), fill the fuel and pay at the register.

• @lightnsfw@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          55 months ago

Because it’s way faster to pay at the pump and not have to go inside. I’ve only been inside a gas station like 4-5 times in the last decade.

• @LastYearsPumpkin@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      English
      455 months ago

Biggest problem is that they cheap out on the tech parts. Nobody complains that an iPad has a touch screen, cause it works. But an appliance tends to have a crappy UI, running on a crappy touch screen, powered by a crappy CPU.

If they just used quality parts, it’d probably be fine, and the only issue would be expensive replacement for an entire assembly, instead of small, cheap parts that can be fixed.

• @Halcyon
        link
        English
        285 months ago

A smartphone or tablet screen has the function to have multiple buttons and responsive functions on one and the same place.

A kitchen appliance doesn’t have or need that. Absolutely no need for digital or so-called “smart” gimmicks.

• Dojan
          link
          fedilink
          English
          255 months ago

Yeah! Instead of having a knob my idiot stove has “touch areas” - good luck cooking if you’re blind.

At my old place, if I wanted to set the bottom left plate to the hottest setting, I’d put my hand on the leftmost knob and turn counter-clockwise until it snapped once.

On this thing I usually have to start with turning off the child lock. We never turn it on, but every time we wipe off the stove there’s a like 95% chance the child lock activates due to the lingering moisture.

After turning the child lock off you have to hold the power “zone.” Then you have to select which burner by holding its zone - if you don’t you’ll start changing the timer when you hold down the - button to cycle from 0 to keep warm, to 9, and then press + to turn it from 9 to boost.

I’m legit not joking. Mind you this example is when the piece of shit behaves. I’ve an absentmindedly placed lids on the off “button” before and had the piece of junk refuse to turn back on for half an hour.

What does the touch controls add to my experience other than frustration? A knob doesn’t activate from water splashes. A knob doesn’t turn from residual moisture from a slightly damp cloth. A knob is tactile and pleasing to hold, and can be used by anyone of appropriate age, even if they’re blind.

Four knobs could pull the weight that these NINE touch “buttons” fucking struggle with.

• Aniki 🌱🌿
            link
            fedilink
            English
            125 months ago

WHO CAME UP WITH THAT?! Holy shit that is a fucking crime against humanity.

• @IMongoose@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            95 months ago

Holy shit, I could not imagine someone who cooks a lot to put up with that. If you have a few things you need to start and stop at specific times and change heat levels and stuff while cooking several things at once… it takes me .5 seconds to operate my dials when doing this. I would be livid using your stove.

• Dojan
              link
              fedilink
              English
              45 months ago

Yeah it drives me bonkers every time I have to use it.

It’s worse than that too because I grew up with gas and electric hot plates. I’ve 20 years of ingrained habit causing me to move pots and pans off the plate to quickly adjust temperature. I’ve legit lost count of the amount of times I’ve absent-mindedly pulled a hot pan over the controls causing the stove to become unusable for a while.

These are the most sensitive touch controls I’ve ever experienced. They’re triggered by moisture and even putting pans or groceries on them.

• @BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            85 months ago

Oh ffs what a fucked up convoluted mess.

We need to find the engineer that designed this, and their managers who pushed it, and shame them People of Walmart style.

How is it people can willingly violate fundamental UI/UX rules?

As mentioned, how do these things pass Accessibility regs?

• @douglasg14b@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

In general high quality things tend to have physical buttons and knobs as opposed to touch screen devices.

Instead of turning into e-waste after 5 years or less they can last for the next 30 to 50 years.

How many smart thermostats have become obsolete because their service providers stopped providing cloud services for them?

I just tore apart a working thermostat that almost 80 years old now (to understand how it works) and in perfectly working condition. It uses the physical properties of the materials inside to measure temperature (a coil of metal expands and contracts causing a pendulum to move clockwise or counterclockwise). Suspended at the top of this pendulum is a small vial of mercury containing two electrodes. When the pendulum is far enough counterclockwise the Mercury slides in the vial and bridges the electrodes, turning the furnace on, when the pendulum is far enough clockwise the mercury slides to the right and no longer bridges the electrodes.

When you set the temperature on the thermostat you are changing the default position of this pendulum. Meaning that it has to move more or less distance for the bead of mercury to bridge the circuit.

It’s brilliantly simple and will continue to work essentially forever. The physical characteristics of the materials involved won’t change.

• @kent_eh@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

How many smart thermostats have become obsolete because their service providers stopped providing cloud services for them?

Same goes for pretty much every IoT device that people seem to be filling their homes with.

• capital
          link
          fedilink
          English
          85 months ago

This is why, going forward, smart home products I buy have to be zigbee or zwave so I can integrate it with home assistant.

• capital
              link
              fedilink
              English
              65 months ago

lol from the outside I can see how you’d think that.

• @MonkeMischief@lemmy.today
              link
              fedilink
              English
              45 months ago

Haha yeah they’re IoT protocols for smarthome stuff. But an open source software called Home Assistant can talk to it, so you can self-host your home automation without your home being subject to the whims of some fragile tech startup and by extension, their investors.

• @silkroadtraveler@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                English
                35 months ago

Oh I see, that’s helpful and makes sense. I’m one of those newbs who took 15 hours to set up my own Jellyfin. Self hosting Home automation is a ways off in the distance for me haha.

• @MonkeMischief@lemmy.today
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  25 months ago

Hey, same! Glad it was helpful.

And hey it sounds like after 15 hours you DID get it set up, so congrats! The skills learned will keep transferring to your next projects. If you’re having fun, you’re winning. :)

Home Assistant has a pretty rad community and guides on which devices it can use and stuff. They’re trying really hard to be accessible to the curious. So hey, never know!

• This is fine🔥🐶☕🔥
              link
              fedilink
              English
              25 months ago

Yeah that’s how things are now.

I was looking for kitchen scale and not a single recognisable brand was there on Amazon. No Phillips, Bosch, Siemens, Panasonic etc.

Don’t know if these companies even make things like that anymore.

• @silkroadtraveler@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                English
                25 months ago

Yeah Amazon has opened the door to the lowest quality hardware out of China to put most name brands out of business for lower priced goods.

• @Wrench@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      245 months ago

Touch screens especially don’t make sense in the cooking context, where your hands are likely to be wet / damp.

• @FireRetardant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        185 months ago

Touch controls for burners are very dangerous in my opinion. What if i spill oil on the stove and touch screen? Now the oil might stop me from turning off the heat and the situation could quickly turn into a fire.

• @xthexder@l.sw0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          55 months ago

That’s a thing? Holy shit… And here I thought the worst offender was Tesla’s yolk steering wheel with a capacitive touch horn “button”.

• Dojan
          link
          fedilink
          English
          45 months ago

I’ve had similar situations happen before. Moved into this apartment in September. This stove will be the death of me.

• Joe Cool
          link
          fedilink
          English
          15 months ago

That’s why they have spill detection. Try pouring water over the touch controls. It should beep, then turn off. It’s not a good solution or better than a knob, but better than nothing. Except your spill doesn’t flow over the controls. Then good luck.

• @ominouslemon@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Omg I feel that. The oven in my apartment has touch controls. When I’m baking stuff with lots of moisture inside, water evaporates and is expelled though a vent JUST BELOW the touch controls. The condensation makes them completely unresponsive. Smh

• @CancerMancer@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        15 months ago

You have to wonder if the engineer who designed that was a complete dumbass because it seems remarkably obvious that you’d want to keep moisture away from electronics.

• Dojan
      link
      fedilink
      English
      95 months ago

I was boiling pasta earlier and my fucking stove turned itself off and engaged the child lock because water splashed onto those controls. THREE TIMES!

I’ve had this piece of shit literally ruin dinner before. It’s amazing how it can be both really nice and really fucking useless at the same time.

• @Betch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      55 months ago

Agreed, it’s true for most devices. They’re often finicky, don’t offer anything in terms of feedback (Except maybe for a beep that is identical for all button presses) and they don’t last.

• @barsoap@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      35 months ago

I’m really on the fence when it comes to kitchens because a) you actually have time to look at what you’re doing – if you need to lower temperature suddenly the better option is to take your pan off the stove, anyway and b) touch controls are trivial to clean.

What I can’t stand though is scales manufactures being so cheap as to not even have capacitive buttons but re-use the front left/right feet as sensors for the interface. On the upside the thing was dirt cheap and actually comes with an USB-C port to charge its LIR2450 cell.

• Alex
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

I like touch panels but don’t mind physical buttons.