British politics risks an unprecedented shift to the far right as a result of public disillusionment if a Labour government fails to enact radical change, the former shadow chancellor John McDonnell has warned.

Writing in the Guardian, McDonnell said the threat would come not just from Nigel Farage’s resurgent Reform UK but from the return of a Conservative party “shorn” of its moderate wing and dominated by populists.

McDonnell, who served in the shadow cabinet under Jeremy Corbyn, reflected the views of others on his party’s left who are impatient with what they regard as Labour’s too-cautious approach. “The central messaging of Keir Starmer’s electoral strategy is that he’s not Jeremy Corbyn and that Labour is not the disaster that is the Conservative party,” he said.

McDonnell pointed to the polling figures of Reform UK, reaching as high as 11%, as evidence of “how a far-right populist programme can pull the major parties on to a rightwing agenda”.

• mr_strange
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Vastly reduce immigration from countries that don’t have very similar cultural identity.

So the best way to fight the fascists is to give them what they want?

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Are you saying that fascism is exclusively about not having open border immigration? I’m not really sure what point you are trying to make.

Let me break it down just for this example and excluding the other three. The British people want less immigration, that’s shown know the studies. Admittedly this is based on my own perception, but people have issues with parts of the UK being full of immigrants (or their children) from say the indian subcontinent or from Nigeria and not integrating. Almost no one, if any are complaining about the towns and communities full of Australians.

Now if you care about immigration you are going to vote for a party that cares about immigration. If the left doesn’t do this then they will go to the right as it is the only option.

The right party for me would be:

Pushing for single transferable vote

Lowering immigration from the third world.

Massive restructuring of cities and towns for higher density and public transport.

Higher taxes and more govement spending.

Free education.

Monetary allowance ideally or more realistically low interest government loans for young people to start their lives.

More protection for workers with things like unpaid work.

Push towards less work per hour.

Eventual UBI

Externalities.

That’s left leaning policies, in some waves very left. But for some reason in the uk immigration is seen as far right policy, it’s not but for some reason people incorrectly think it is. Plenty of left parties have been for less immigration to boost wages for example.

I will not vote for a party that wants FPTP. Then the next biggest issue is immigration so I will vote based on that. All the other issues can be fixed in the future.

• mr_strange
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

British people want less immigration because they have been fed a deluge of racist, far right propaganda for years, if not decades. Propaganda that mainstream parties have failed to counter, or even tacitly endorsed.

Immigrants are not just good for the UK, they are essential. Of course immigration grows the economy, and makes us all richer (yes, even the poorest segments of society). But more than that, without immigration, our population will shrink, slowly at first, and eventually catastrophically. We need people to keep everything working, lest there is literally no one left by the time we get to retirement age.

Of course immigrants struggle to integrate when right wing governments have cut the programmes that existed to help them do that! In the 2000s, my wife (an immigrant) trained to teach English as a second language - a programme specifically designed to help immigrants learn English. The Conservatives cancelled that, along with a slew of similar initiatives. And then they feigned surprise when the far right stole their voters, and eventually took over their entire party.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I think you have been fed propaganda from the left.

First British culture has value to it. People like it and people want it. By bringing in a lot of immigrants that don’t integrate that value is lost and people are unhappy with that. That is a real concern people have that the left act like it is made up. Sure new culture has value but it doesn’t diminish the argument of the first and the great thing about travel is seeing new cultures, no one wants the world to be identical. People do not want to lose British culture and identity and that might surpass any other metric.

There has been far far too much focus on GDP and GDP per capita in my mind. First GDP is largely meaningless to the individual and even GDP per capita is meaningless if you are in a cohort of the population that is doing worse.

You show me that people in the lowest tax bracket are happier, have more home ownership, have more employment, have more dispatchable income, from all this immigration. Then we are talking but other figures aren’t the whole picture.

The world is dying. Population decline is good. Japan manage it. They have high homeownership and low crime. Sure not much has changed since 2000. But you ask an average brit if they will probably say 2000 is better than 2024. Also if people had a home, more free time and more excess money they will probably have more kids.

The reason we need immigrants to do stuff is because things like education has been underfunded and wages are kept low by immigration. Fix them and those jobs will be filled with locals, plenty of the country is suffering horrifically and they could be trained to do jobs but instead it’s cheaper to bring in immigrants. This is an example of increasing GDP at the expense of the everyday man.