• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve heard of your scam energy grid and hoyging electric prices in Texas. If you’re in Texas and don’t have solar I’d say you’re more of an imbecile than the crazy preppers.

But to answer your question, no. Solar doesn’t have that vibe where I’m at in the Midwest.

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

It’s a financial disincentive to get solar here. It’s almost punitive. From a financial standpoint, it would take me approximately forty years to recoup my investment, not taking time value of money into consideration.

What you heard about prices was related to people who signed up for something that sold electricity at spot price, which surged several thousand percent. Regular people do three year contracts at fixed rates. My highest monthly bill during winter is around $120. It’s usually under a hundred otherwise.

For the grid fuckups, having come to a point where I went to bed accepting my potential fate of not waking up during that 2021 ice storm, I’ve since installed a whole house generator. Grid would have to stay offline for a very long time to affect me at this point.

I do, however, appreciate your armchair assessment of my intellect. Always good for me to keep humble, Humble. I’m not even sure what that incredibly difficult polysyllabic word means. We who live in this shithole state are indeed categorically illiterate. One might even say imbeciles.

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I’m glad somebody at least somewhat understands. I’d love to have solar. I seem to have really pissed off the narrative by alluding to the realities of the regulations here and/or mocking the attack on my base intelligence. Won’t back down from either.