• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s kind of fair, to be honest, and the “no big corporation” seems more like a pro than a con

• JustEnoughDucks@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Eh, it is a con when there are problems, service problems, bugs, etc…

My instance have had a few of them and for a while our 1 admin was unavailable.

It is difficult or impossible to get it resolve because there is no contact point, nobody hired to fix issues that need immediate triage, etc… which can result in longer outages or bugs on specific instances.

I’m not complaining. This is a fantastic service that is being offered completely free from actual altruistic incentives, unlike corporations. There are a few downsides though.

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Definitely, that’s why I always prefer instances with at least two admins, and a Matrix room for status updates

• Turun@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

That’s great and all.

But feddit.de just became usable again after more than two weeks of being basically unusable - because the 19.0 and 19.1 releases of Lemmy were buggy and there was no downgrade migration possible on the database. No big corporation would break their product for two weeks like this.

• Mario_Dies.wav@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah, true. It seems like that is a pro that greatly overshadows the cons. Like someone else pointed out, it’s just worded weirdly in the article.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Kind of funny how the privacy crowd is big on Lemmy but it skips over the fact that all of its Lemmy data is hosted on the machines of people that have no accountability…

• NovaPrime@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

You’re always free to spin up your own server and host it if you’re concerned about the way your data is being handled. Not something you can do with the corporate alternatives

• Square Singer@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

But as soon as you interact with literally anyone (or anyone interacts with you) your data is still replicated on other servers.

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

Your posts are all public and discoverable by web crawlers even if your instance didn’t federate at all. That’s kind of the point of activityPUB

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 months ago

ActivityPub does not have support for private messages. Services that try to shoehorn a direct message as “private” are misusing the protocol. You could configure client-side encryption but thats outside the scope of ActivityPub

• Square Singer@feddit.de
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    5 months ago

That’s true, but neither the article nor the discussion are about ActivityPub.

Both are specifically about Lemmy, and Lemmy does have private messages.

• Hubi@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              5 months ago

No personally identifiable information or private account information is transmitted between instances. The only thing that is synced is the content of your posts, reports and up- and downvotes. And all of that serves a purpose and is shared willingly.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

And only post on your own instance and talk with users of your own instance… Might as well just send emails to your friends at that point…

• Mario_Dies.wav@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I may be naive, but even though I don’t personally know my admin, this is a person who has a stellar reputation, and who I’d trust far more than some massive corporation that has to abide(1) by some anemic laws

(1)if it finds it profitable to do so