link
    English
    14 months ago

The smart people don’t connect these “smart” devices to the network

• @NeatNit
        link
        English
        24 months ago

That means you don’t get any of the benefits of it being a smart TV. Which is fine, but unlike a washing machine there are actually obvious benefits for a smart TV.

• @AlijahTheMediocre@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          14 months ago

Not like there’s a choice to not buy a smart TV.

Everything comes internet enabled, runs software that won’t receive updates, comes with a shitty phone app, and some sort of subscription service either to enable features or auto buy product.

• @Misconduct@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          14 months ago

Yeah except you can’t really find a TV without the “smart” features anymore and I already have an echo cube thingy that does the smart stuff lol. So in my case it’s not really a waste to leave it off. My other TV is connected to the internet and I can’t even go to the gd settings page without being bombarded with ads it’s super dumb

• @Moira_Mayhem@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      14 months ago

And exactly what percentage of humanity exists above that bar? Because I know a fucktonne of ‘smart’ people who’s houses are packed to the gills with devices freely able to stream directly to the parent corp.

In fact, most of them openly mock me for making efforts to keep my house as dumb as possible.

• @makunamatata
        link
        English
        14 months ago

You are definitely part of the smart group.