• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Adobe Flash Player was deprecated some years ago, so there is no longer any functioning official software that can play Flash games. The modern equivalent are mobile games.

The reason why reimplementing it is a worthy thing to do is to preserve old software, same reason why console emulators exist.

• jol
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

No, the modern equivalent is Web HTML5 games.

• schnurrito
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

From a technical point of view you are right. But commercially, I am pretty sure many companies and developers that used to make Flash games now make mobile games. There are many mobile games that are ports of old Flash games.

• jol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I see mobile games as the commercial successor of Facebook games. But the spirit of flash games stated in the Web scene for sure.

• Norah - She/They@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Same section also has this:

In November 2011, about a year after Jobs’ open letter, Adobe announced it would no longer be developing Flash and advised developers to switch to HTML5.

You can see why someone might think it was ten years ago based off this.

• schnurrito
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

It was on its way out when smartphones and HTML5 became widely adopted. Smartphones didn’t support Flash and HTML5 made sure that the things you used to need Flash for were just implemented in web browsers. Maybe you remember something along those lines.

• bizdelnick@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

What I remembered was abandoning Linux NPAPI Flash plugin in 2012. The PPAPI plugin indeed existed for longer time.