“Palworld is now one of only seven games that have seen over 1 million concurrent players on Steam – the others include: PUBG (3.2 mil), Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (1.8 mil), Counter-Strike 2 (1.4 mil), Lost Ark (1.3 mil), Dota 2 (1.2 mil), and Cyberpunk 2077 (1 mil).”

• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Its weird because except for the looks and taming mechanic it has nothing to do with pokemon. But yeah it probably helps to get people interested in the first place.

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I get that direct comparisons to Pokémon might seem too surface level to someone who has played both. But let’s not beat around the bush: People have been begging GameFreak for something like this for years now. And I don‘t mean the guns, but everything else, really. There‘s a reason so many Pokémon mods are made for these type of games anyway. Really, players couldn‘t have been more obvious about what they wanted all these years.

• 520@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

As someone who has not played Palworld but practically swore off mainline Pokémon since Sword and Shield (made an exception for Arceus), I couldn’t agree more with this.

Now I’ve looked at the Palworld trailer and not only does this look like more than just a Pokémon knock off like Digimon or Yokai Watch, this looks very competently made. Sure the guns might be shock value, but the point is they’re doing more with the concept than the same shit Game freak has been doing since 1996 on the fucking Game Boy. They certainly aren’t relying on that shock value.

I’m actually tempted to buy Palworld.

• Sweetpeaches69@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Played it until 2AM with my girlfriend last night, even though we both fully knew we had work in the morning. This morning is not great, but it was so, so worth it. I can’t remember the last time I had that much fun experiencing a game for the first time–maybe Warhammer II on release. I’d definitely recommend, especially for the price.

• 520@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Ah damn, if only my gf had a gaming PC. I think she’d like this a lot.

• Pxtl@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Wasn’t there an official branded pokemon dotalike for a while? I mean, they tried the approach of “let’s make a conventional PC genre game but with Pokemon” and it didn’t stick.

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It was a lazy cash grab. They outsourced it to the same chinese company who‘ve made plenty mobile dota clones before. They dumbed down their usual game and slapped pokemon skins on it. It‘s a fairly awful game.

Then there‘s PokemonGO which had a rough start quality vise. It was also outsourced but at the very least it was successful and different, though way too simplified for my taste. Of course I‘m one of those conservative gamers who don‘t want to point their camera at virtual things outside so I‘m a little biased I guess.

• Kaijobu
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I enjoy Monster Hunter Now so far. Playing it alone without other hunters in the vicinity feels lonely and I cannot hunt stronger monsters to farm their materials, but otherwise it captures the essence of World pretty nicely. It still got me hooked, more than Pokémon Go. (Hunter level 55)