• blazera@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Is burning trees part of it? This is like eating a bunch of pizza to lose weight, because you can exercise it off. The pizza is only hurting your ability to lose weight, and burning trees is only hurting our ability to reduce greenhouse gases. You can grow trees without burning any.

• MachineFab812
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

No point. Its the diversified old-growth forests we need to protect. Planting more trees without achieving that is pointless. There is not enough wood-burning for heat and/or fuel happening to make a difference vs what we do grow though, as the vast majority of what we do grow goes into construction.

You want to stop indigenous peoples burning wood for heat and cooking? How about we stop paying them to burn down rainforests for farms and ranches first. If we can accomplish that, cracking down on campfires becomes a pointless endeavor.

• MachineFab812
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

The carbon footprint of the average person in Sub-Saharan Africa is nothing close to yours or mine. The idea that that article recommends eliminating wood-burning entirely is … not born-out in its text.

What do you think the biomass in “Efficient Biomass Cooking” is? Its wood. The carbon footprint of the transportation of any other fuel to these people alone would more than offset any criteria by which wood-burning falls short, until we can electrify the entire world, and/or get everyone using solar ovens for cooking.

• MachineFab812
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

I can’t even find the quote you’ve “replied” to in this thread, and it deffinitely was not myself who said it …

• towerful@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Nah, its more the whole farming/regenerating trees thing reminded me of that clip. And i find it absolutely hilarious, and wanted to share