• Joe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Who cares?

My company’s 9,000 CentOS machines and over 100,000 containers now mostly run Amazon Linux or Alpine. Rocky Linux was preferred by some, but we led the way and the rest followed. Our final licensed RH systems will also disappear this quarter (legacies of a DC-centric era), and we will be free of them.

It was inertia that kept us with RH, but their bad faith moves kicked us into action. We now have better security tooling and processes all around, too.

Good riddance, Red Hat (and IBM, until your next acquisition and corporate strangling)!

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I immediately called this after IBM bought Redhat. Its the same story that always happens: large company buys out other large company and runs it into the ground.

• ProgrammingSocks@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Wouldn’t say always. Here in Canada our telecoms have a great time buying out competitors, making a ton of money, and fucking over customers. The last one was Rogers’ acquisition of Shaw, Shaw being huge and Rogers being fucking massive.

• V ‎ ‎ @beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I said something similar once before when they first announce me their decision to kneecap themselves, but it’s worth saying again:

They gained nothing from this decision. We used CentOS to trial deployments to prod servers running RHEL. We like how stable RHEL was. We appreciated the service agreements. We especially like how CentOS freed us from worrying about licensing. Their boneheaded decision ruined all of that. Before I left we had plans to migrate off RHEL (I asked an old coworker they actively are) because we can’t trust IBM not to Oracle us with some other world-ending BS in six months. Hundreds of RHEL servers and licenses gone, for what? They lost control of the open-source narrative when they shotgunned CentOS, and now the community initiative is led by people who don’t like them. Do yourself a favor and make it a priority to achieve Linux platform independence before RedHat is further Borgified by Big Blue.