• tias
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I guess they mean use the password as part of the encryption key, or encrypt the key with the password. Bitlocker doesn’t use the user’s password in that way, which is why it can boot an encrypted system without user interaction. That part always seemed very sketchy to me.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Thanks, that sounds really useful. I’m guessing it won’t work unless you’re local admin though.

• tias
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Which kind of makes it useless in many corporate environments where it’s most needed, since the users won’t be able to set their own password.

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I mean, if it’s a corporate device then it’s really a policy IT should be setting - this can be easily be done via a GPO or Intune policy, where an elevated script can prompt the end-user for a password.

• LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Yarp. And when they forget it we use the 48 numerical recovery key found using the recovery ID that shows on the screen when you hit escape (from the bitlocker screen)

• lud@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

It would be insane to let non admin change settings like this.

• tias
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 months ago

I’m talking about letting the user change their own password. I’m honestly not sure how that would be technically accomplished in this situation without having to contact IT each time. It seems like something Microsoft should provide a no-frills GUI for that doesn’t require elevation.

• lud@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    5 months ago

Yeah, that could be neat as long as they still add a recovery key to the AD or somewhere else. A problem with that is that the users will likely choose shit passwords. That could be mitigated with password rules but still

I suspect Microsoft wants you to use TMP or physical keys instead of passwords.