(Yes it’s a real product they market)

• eerongal@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I mean, blob (and object storage in general) has been used as a term for a long time. It isn’t particularly new, and MS didn’t invent it.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

That’s sort of the problem. It’s easy to Google S3 since it’s a distinct (if obnoxiously short) term. Blob is already an overloaded term.

An example of a great name from Microsoft is Excel, it’s relatively short but meaningless so if you Google “Excel Sum” you’ll get wonderful results… “Blob Get” is going to get you a lot of random stuff.

Edit: the top result for blob get is accurate on Google but you’ll also quickly see this result from that site we all hate:

Need help! How do I get the blob fish, basking shark and dwarf whale?

• masinko@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

To prevent confusion, I call them “VS Code” and “Visual Studio IDE”, because if you say Visual Studio, people assume you mean Visual Studio Code.

• kameecoding@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

At least they don’t control the most popular code hosting site along with the most popular code editing software, right? Right?

• Lmaydev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Yeah Microsoft Entra is the latest one. Azure AD had such huge brand recognition and they just dropped it lol