• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

To be fair, things like this are pretty rare.

The more common experience is that those reviewers are anal as hell reject people for petty stuff. This malware guy lucked out and got the burned out app reviewer who didn’t look twice.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Yeah, but as the poor sap who has been deemed “computer guy” for every elderly parent, aunt and uncle in the family, I think the Play and App Stores do a decent job of keeping malware in check.

It’s not perfect, but about once every year or two I have to put out a malware fire with a Windows laptop in the family. Dealing with the phones is less of a headache. Especially the iOS devices.

I wish iOS made it easier for people like me to remove those guardrails for my own needs, but for my 80 year old parents, I’m all for keeping them living in Apple and Google’s stores.

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

The alternative is the malware minefield that is the google play store so at the end of the day, I’ll take the lesser poison tbh. I need my phone to be more reliable than I need my PC to be, which is why I tinker and dabble on the PC and not on the phone.

• Vub@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I am surprised this happened, it’s the first case of anything like this that I have heard of. Do you know of any other cases?

• stoy@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Pretty well, it was bound to happen sooner or later and thisnis the first time Inhave heard about it

• VelociCatTurd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

There’s been plenty of malicious apps found in the past. Though, I’m sure the play store isn’t much better. Disappointing that Apple will bend devs over a Barrel sometimes but they don’t find shit like this.

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

The play store is exponentially worse. It doesn’t even compare. I am not a fan of walled gardens, but let’s not pretend Google is even close to being on the same level as Apple here when it comes app quality. The play store is a mess, they let everything on there.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I never said that there wasn’t any malicious apps on the App Store, just that this was the first one that I have heard about that actively tries to fake being the official one and managed to get vetted.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I never said that this is the first dodgy app in the app store?

I said that this is the first app I have heard about that pretends to be the official app that have gone through the vetting step on the App Store.