• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

They don’t have the guts because the 2024 senate election landscape doesn’t look great for Dems. Most of the purple seats that are up for reelection have democratic incumbents. Traditionally that would mean that Democrats will lose seats. They don’t want to hand republican candidates in these states the talking point of “authoritarian democrats” killing the filibuster with a 1 seat majority.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

And what was the excuse in 2009 when they wouldn’t kill the filibuster for the public option? What was the excuse in 2021 when they wouldn’t kill the filibuster to codify Roe or pass the John Lewis voting rights act?

There is always, always some excuse from Democrats. You may be happy to be strung along forever with empty promises and flimsy excuses. I’m sick of it.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

They should have in 2009. The map was also bad then but feasibly that was their last real chance to do it. Though if they had done so we almost certainly would not have the ACA now. If republicans hadn’t been stuck trying to dismantle it through budget reconciliation (to avoid the filibuster) it would have been trivially easy for them to kill it in 2014/2016.

It was never an option in 21. Dems technically had a majority (if the VP was in DC to cast a tie breaker) but Sinema and Manchin both public opposed killing the filabuster. It was DOA and bringing a DOA bill to the floor, in this case, would have been very bad. The first party to try to kill the filibuster HAS to make it stick. The first party to succeed will probably lose the the majority the next election, if they fail they will definitely lose it (while also de-stigmatizing it for the other party).

• Ænima@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Everyone is sick if it. But if it comes down to tRump or Biden, it’s Biden all the way. This is not the year for a protest vote, at least not if you ever want to vote again. Also, traditionally, the second term of a Democrat president sees more getting done as they don’t have to care about getting reelected. They can take more politically risky moves that the elite and Republicans may not be fully onboard with or try to campaign against.

Bottom line is, we know both of the (presumed) candidates this year and I trust the current one far more than the previous one. Strategic voting is more important this year than any other time in history. Progress, even slower than we may like, is still progress.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Everyone is sick if it.

No centrist democrat is.

But if it comes down to tRump or Biden, it’s Biden all the way. This is not the year for a protest vote, at least not if you ever want to vote again.

And here we are again. I did not say people should not vote. I did not say people should vote for Trump. But the empty promises and the endless excuses need to stop, and they needed to stop decades ago.

Now Democrats are promising to stop fascism, and I see no reason to believe them because it’s a promise from Democrats.