• FrameXX
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Node packaging is fucked. Node packaging remains fucked.

I am sorry, but as a noobie user of npm I don’t understand. It works pretty well for me if you use it normally for what it is supposed for.

• dependencyinjection
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

If used in larger systems it can be a pain to maintain code bases as you could install an innocuous package but that package may depend on 100 other packages which in turn could have other dependencies and it cascades.

This can introduce bugs into your code which can be a pain to resolve.

• FrameXX
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Isn’t this a problem with every package/library system? Is there really a solution to this that doesn’t limit packages with how they handle their dependencies?

This may also be about trust. npm probably could limit a number of dependencies that a single package can have with an arbitrary limit, but they don’t do that, because they trust the developers they won’t misuse their options. Well…

• dependencyinjection
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Thats a good question and I’m not sure to be honest.

We use NPM at work client side for React Typescript and Nuget server side for C# .net and all I know is the senior always complains about NPM but not NuGet I do believe the backend is less package reliant on our applications so maybe that’s why it’s not as bad.