• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Do you actually do that? Have you tried it?

I’m a consultant and discuss complicated things with clients several times a day. Exactly the type of conversation that will include bits and pieces that people want to take note of.

If someone asked my permission to record a conversation I would decline and tell them that I’m probably not the best fit for them moving forward. I’m certain that most other consultants in any professional field would do the same. The reason being simply that it’s a huge red flag - such a client is guaranteed to be a huge pain in the butt - much better to spend your time with other more co-operative clients.

• setVeryLoud(true);@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I don’t know where you’re from, but in Canada, I don’t even have to ask you for your permission. I can just record you, and it is my right to do so, regardless of the reason.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I’m certain that in Canada every professional includes an indemnity for recording calls in their engagement agreement. That is to say, you can’t record a consultant you’ve engaged without their knowledge.

Regardless, I stand by my original statement that there are few good reasons to record a conversation without the knowledge of others participating in the conversation.

Just because something is legally permissible doesn’t make it right, ethical, or appropriate. Would you record your partner yelling at you? Would you record conversations with your boss?

In almost all circumstances, just a modicum of diplomacy and guile will serve you much better than a clandestine recording.