• Metz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Yes, multiple. I’m also in multiple FOSS user and developer groups.

But there is no need to believe me. You can ask Github. https://opensourcesurvey.org/2017/

Along other dimensions, representation is stronger: 1% of respondents identify as transgender (including 9% of women in open source), and 7% identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, asexual, or another minority sexual orientation.

The proportion of the general population is 0.5 to 0.7%. So yes, it is very slightly higher, but not in the way that all the memes have been trying to portray it lately.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I would say programmer circles tend to be progressive as well, so some over-representation makes sense. I mean, where do we expect trans women to want to work?

• lad@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

It’s probably more of where one can be expected to be open about not being ‘normative’

• Fudoshin ️🏳️‍🌈@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

It seems to have become fashionable to over-hype it among younger more casual Linux users. Hence things like “Linux/Unix socks”.

It’s quite heavily pushed in Discord servers where you’ll be asked to choose whether you’re a “catboy” or “femboy”.

It’s quite irritating. Some of those ‘femboys’ can be quite homophobic funnily enough which is infuriating.