I realized (as I was commuting) this morning, that some people must live near timezone borders.

How does that work for you? Do you think in work time at home? Home time at work?

It must be easier these days with smartphones and smart watches automatically adjusting time according to you location?

Share your experience please, I’m curious!

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I live in Pacific but work remotely in Mountain. I’ve just adjusted to working 8 - 4 and subtracting an hour in my head anytime someone mentions a time.

It’s starting to look more likely that Wa, Or, and Ca are going to stop observing DST. Then I’ll be 2 hours different from March to November. That seems like it will be harder.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Stop observing.

They’ve been trying to remain DST, but you need federal approval, and some states have been waiting a decade or longer for that. States can stay standard time on their own accord.

• ALavaPulsar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

The bill they passed would keep us on standard time though, so you’re still stuck with 4:30pm sunsets in Dec/Jan. I’d rather stick with the current system until we can get permanent DST.

• themadcodger@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Yeah, given my druthers I’d rather summer time, but that seems unlikely happen any time soon. So honestly, I’ll be happy if we no longer have to change clocks twice a year regardless of which we align with.

• proudblond@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

I’m with you. Also, everyone talks about early sunsets being the worst, but personally I find it way easier to wake up to sunlight so I’d rather have the daylight in the morning. I would miss the late summer sun though. A little. Not enough to want to change my clocks though. It’s bad enough for adults, but anyone with children or a dog suffer even more. My kids are not babies anymore but it was the worst when they were, and it’s still not great now.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I wish we would. Each state would need a federal exception to stay in DST. I know Washington and Oregon passed legislation saying we will switch if CA does but that all still would require federal exceptions. I think there are a good dozen or so states that want to stick with DST but none have gotten the go ahead. We could stay with PST with no issue though.

Feel lucky that you only have to deal with one other timezone. Doing support for companies that work around the globe makes scheduling a pain in the ass. I don’t think I have started work after 7:30 for almost a decade. Half of that would include a commute.