I mean fair enough, i use this version of Spotify and don’t pay them a single cent: https://bestforandroid.com/apk/spotify-premium-mod-apk/

But if I was a paying customer i would be pretty pissed opening Spotify the first time on my 3 week travels and seeing this crap :⁠-⁠O Funnily there isn’t even an option to change the location as suggested. Neither in the modded app nor on spotify.com on FF mobile.

• 2xsaiko
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m really liking Apple Music. Mainly because it’s streaming bolted on to a real music library manager, so you can do stuff like edit song metadata, 5-star song ratings (though they really want you to use the stupid favorite system that Spotify also has), playlists that let you filter your library based on rules, and even add/upload your own tracks, so anything that’s missing you can add yourself.

Though I’m not sure how the experience is if you don’t have a Mac, as the web client is hot garbage and they don’t have a native Linux client.

• NoneYa@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Apple Music broke my offline library the last two times I tried.

Replaced a lot of my explicit music with clean versions and left some of it unavailable to me. Music I had for decades that I legitimately bought on CD and ripped in iTunes was now being shown as “unavailable in your region”, even on the MacBook that I uploaded them from.

I had to wipe my library and luckily had a backup from a year before with most of it but some of it is still lost to this day.

• NaN@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

That’s one of the largest downsides imo. People have had their libraries converted and suddenly they don’t have their owned music anymore.

• 2xsaiko
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Which downside? What do you mean? Everything I’ve added to it locally is in its own folder, and it’s a copy of the original files.

• NaN@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I think most people that traditionally used iTunes didn’t keep other copies somewhere else, since it was meant to be the music manager for all music, so if it screws up their library they lose their files.

The uploading and syncing local files was (is) already a feature of iTunes Match. Apple Music just expands it to allow it for music they don’t own, however people have had it take their files and relabel them as Apple Music files and then lock them out if they cancel their subscription.

The downside is combining my local music management with their streaming service, I’d rather they were entirely separate with the option of playing local files, as Spotify does. The option to upload files would be fine.

• 2xsaiko
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Ahh, I see. Yeah that absolutely shouldn’t happen, at least not by default… Though I believe I’ve added an album that’s already in Apple Music once and it also kept the local files. Maybe in those cases it deleted the local files as the disk was getting full to clear up space, or something? Definitely inexcusable though :V

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Never used Spotify, but I got into Apple Music after learning it supports lossless. It’s been fantastic. I have MP3s on my phone and none of them have been overwritten with clean versions or anything like that other guy said… I dunno his setup though. I keep my giant MP3/flac collection on another HDD, backed up to an external.

• femboy_bird@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Apple music on android is broken af

Sometimes my library crashes and it takes like 5 minutes to get to a point where i can use the app again