• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I just canceled Prime because they started with the ads. It was the last streaming service I was paying for. Now I am sharing Disney+ until they crack down on that and then I’m done with their shit. I already read 12 books this year, so there’s that. And if I get bored, I guess I’ll pick up sailing again, like in the olden days. 🏴‍☠️

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

You’re paying for prime video? It comes free with their prime shipping service. I’ve never paid for their streaming. The shipping service is too valuable not to use, and the video shit is just a cherry on top. Prime shipping pays for itself within a half dozen orders.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Way I see it, it’s the other way around. I would never pay for the shipping service, but since it’s included in the streaming subscription I guess I’ll take it. I don’t order from Amazon unless there’s absolutely no alternative.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Makes sense. I use their free shipping and returns constantly throughout the year, so the shipping is very much worth the expense for me.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Right, but they said they cancelled because they started including ads. I’m confused why someone would cancel their prime shipping program over ads on a video service that was included as a bonus. Just stop watching the platform and keep your free shipping.

• CybertoothTiger@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

It’s not free shipping, you’re paying $140/year. Worth it to some, but if you don’t order much it’s worth cancelling to cut costs.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

True. It also covers the cost of returns too though, which can be very valuable if you order online a lot. Like you said though, it’s probably not worth much to people who don’t frequently order online through Amazon.

• state_electrician
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I paid Prime because Video was included. Just the shipping isn’t worth the monthly fee to me.