• Lichtblitz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

This argument is extremely disingenuous. The Republicans claim that a president has immunity unless investigated and impeached by Congress. And this is exactly what they are fruitlessly flailing around, trying to do. So this is not the gotcha the meme claims it is.

• bort@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

“A president of the United States must have full immunity, without which it would be impossible for him [or] her to properly function. Any mistake, even if well intended, would be met by almost certain indictment by the opposing party at term end.

“Even events that ‘cross the line’ must fall under total immunity, or it will be years of trauma trying to determine good from bad.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/18/trump-claims-total-complete-immunity-president-truth-social

• Lichtblitz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Please always add the person who is quoted. These are Trump’s words, while we are discussing what many Republicans are publicly claiming. Of course Trump wants to go way further.

• bort@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

4 years ago your distinction may be justified, but today trump does speak for the republican party. A significant part of them does support him and agrees with his views.

• jkrtn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

He is the person they all chose to represent themselves, so, yes, that is what the large majority of Repubs agree with.

• Mnemnosyne@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

There is no way in hell those are Trump’s words. He couldn’t write something that coherent, straightforward and understandable if his life depended on it. At least not anymore, as perhaps he was once more coherent.

• MegaUltraChicken@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Probably Steven Miller. Most of the coherent awful shit seems to come from that Nazi fucks brain nowadays. Pretty sure he’s one of McConnell’s horcruxes.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

From criminal prosecution. Noone is arguing the POTUS can’t be impeached. We shit on republicans for being ignorant and uninformed, but you’re either being ignorant and uninformed or intentionally pedantic.

• Test_Tickles@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Seems like you are projecting a bit because you’re either being ignorant and uninformed or intentionally pedantic. The Republicans made a farce of Trump’s impeachment and chose to ignore treason for political purposes. A president who can’t be criminally prosecuted could simply murder anyone who would vote to impeach them.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

You aren’t actually addressing my point. I agree with you that Republicans are pieces of shit and Trump is basically arguing that the POTUS could murder anyone they want while in office and the worst thing that can happen to them is that they be removed from office. Which is absolutely scary and another thing on the huge pile of reasons why no one should vote for him. But this doesn’t change the fact that he’s clearly talking about criminal prosecution after leaving office and not about impeachment. Because that’s the context.

Don’t worry, I don’t expect you to admit you are wrong. I’ve been in enough of these types of conversations to understand that you’re just as lost in your partisanship as Trump supporters and that you are immune to the facts. This place likes to pretend that’s different from Reddit, which likes to pretend that it’s different from Trump supporters, but the reality is that y’all share a shit ton in common. And I’m sure I do as well, but this is not one of those times. It’s your time for that.

• Steve@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

But with immunity, the president could simply assassinate anyone in congress who would vote to impeach

• jkrtn@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

That’s fine, they know a Dem wouldn’t do that. When a Repub eventually does execute members of Congress, they assume they’ll be spared.

• Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

He had two impeachment trials, and two acquittals, he was impeached twice and essentially found not guilty. Had he been found guilty in an impeachment trial that presumably would be the penalty to face compared to criminal charges. I am not arguing that it is a correct position, only that its the stated position.

• Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It scares me for our future that you have so many downvotes for speaking openly and truthfully, while so many incorrect and nonsense takes are nothing but dozens of upvotes (ie Trump is barred from running because its his third term). That this platform seems to skew substantially more educated than most and seems to react this negatively to truth and positively to misinformation actually has me hoping I’m interacting with bots as the alternatives are scarier.