• Karyoplasma
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

It’s pretty much impossible to open a car door underwater. You’d need superhuman strength.

As to why the windows didn’t roll down, I can only speculate.

• ThunderingJerboa@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Depends. You have to wait for the pressure to equalize to open the door. So once the car is filled up fully will you be able to open it. The problem is if you drove a car into a body of water, you might be panicking and not thinking through your actions

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Not just that, the car starts turning upside down and it’s completely dark with no air.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

My reference is a video on Mythbusters so it should apply to most ICE cars. One thing to note is that even if you’re in an EV and the weight is at the bottom, the battery, motors are not perfectly 50/50 front/back or even 50/50 left and right. Also, its not like the car was gently entered the water. Any pitch or roll while entering the water will dramatically alter your car’s position. Another factor is the water current.

Let’s all agree that we all need a window breaking device inside our cars.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

Let’s all agree that we all need a window breaking device inside our cars.

Agreed! I bought a 3 pack for like $10 on Amazon and put one in my car, my wife’s car, and my son’s car. Now whether any of us will remember where that thing is, and remember to use it in an emergency, without any training, is an entirely different topic.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

HAHAHA, I just bought it too. I bought one that has a flashlight built into it.

I remember that Adam Savage words when he simulated a car going into the water and how he described it as the worst thing that has ever happened to him. He said he was blind because his eyes stung when he opened his eyes underwater because the water was super dirty from how dirty the interior of the car was. Even when he could open them up, it was very dark. So that’s why I’m thinking a flashlight would be a good idea too.

I bought this one. Its in Taiwan, but I’m sure you can find this somewhere on amazon. https://shopee.tw/倍思汽車安全錘迷你安全錘-Pro-650mAh-緊急玻璃破碎器窗戶安全帶切割器救生逃生錘刀片工具-i.1168298290.23563972335?xptdk=b478e6e6-3f53-40ac-95d5-1faf867227bd

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  3 months ago

Ideally you want to break the window before the water has filled the cabin. The more time you have to get out, the more likely you are to survive. Going into deep water in the middle of winter is probably a death sentence, even if you get out, unless you’re close to somewhere you can warm up.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    3 months ago

Ideally you roll down the window as soon as you can before the car’s electrics shut down. Then you move to break the window. Then you wait until the car is depressurized to open the door.

If you go into the water and upside down and hanging from your seatbelt, this might be extra difficult.

Maybe someone can invent a product that detects if your car has been submerged and your door unlocks and windows automatically open instantly using waterproof backup batteries. Someone would become a thousandaire.

• littleblue✨@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

It’s why us OGs learned how to crack auto glass with a spark plug stashed in the glove compartment. Just, don’t tell any billionaires. 🤓

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

The windows here are designed to be indestructible though. I have no idea if they would actually withstand that, but they are not designed to break like regular car windows.

I think that all cars should be required to have an easily accessible and identifiable emergency escape tool though. One that can cut your seat belt and break the glass. I don’t know why that hasn’t been mandated, though we should make an exception if your networth is high enough.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Everyone should have one of these in their car, and keep it in an easily accessible place. They can save your life in an emergency, and you can buy one for a few bucks. Bonus points that they double as a pretty decent weapon if you’re ever the victim of road rage.